Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

The Haybus can get to 60 in under 3 seconds but those other 40MPH occuring in that last half second or less just ain't gonna happen.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Yes, the calender was a distraction.

I found the picture of WOODROW Wilson right below it quite appropriate.

Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #13
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

"The Constitution says you've got a right to own a gun and to read a newspaper; firearms and materials related to First Amendment political, artistic and religious expression are the only categories of purchases with specific constitutional protection."

Someone needs to remind Gregg Easterbrook that the Constitution doesn't say any thing about a right to breathe either, nor does it say anything about a right to play a dangerous game such as professional foot ball. The biggest danger to our freedom and our country comes from ill informed twits like Gregg Easterbrook, not high speed motorcycles.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
davyt
Founding Member

I wouldn't say he's ignorant so much as pedantic and deceptive: if he were as concerned about public welfare as he claims, he would have called for the ban of Corvettes in that column, as well.

And he mostly skirts the real point, which is stupid behavior.

That said, I'm sure there's a large percentage of the general public who share Mr. Easterbrook's opinion of motorcycles and motorcyclists (although I'm not sure how you realistically design a motorcycle with "regard to the safety of riders" as he states it without turning it into a car.)

P.S. When did reckless driving become road rage?
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I wrote Gregg and told him I was going to ride my Hayabusa today and speed, cut people off, race from stoplights, and terrify old people in his honor. Oh yeah, I'm not going to wear a helmet either just for effect. I might as well live up to his worst nightmare.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Fenton
Founding Member

"Our nation's laws do not confer any "right" to operate on public roads a high-horsepower bike, anymore than there's a "right" to drive a bulldozer down the middle of an interstate. It is past time the high-horsepower motorcycle was regulated off the roads. The intended use of these bikes is lawbreaking!"

Who gave this guy a job? There is a perfect example of an idiot.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #17
killer5280
Registered Member

Except that the federal government has no constitutional authority to regulate sportbikes or thousands of other things it sticks its nose into.

Lots of things cause far more harm than sportbikes--like cars, bicycles, swimming pools and stairs, but no one is crying out to ban them. People like Gregg Easterbrook and other regulatory fascists need to stay (the f**k) out of peoples' lives.
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #18
killer5280
Registered Member

Right on the money.

Here are the two amendments that no one ever mentions that prevent the federal government has no authority to regulate even 1% of the things it regulates:

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The federal government has specific, enumerated powers. Everything else is off limits to the federal government and retained by the people. Sound like the US we live in today? Not even close.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
killer5280
Registered Member

"Here are the two amendments that no one ever mentions that prevent the federal government has no authority to regulate even 1% of the things it regulates:"

This should have read: Here are the two amendments that no one ever mentions that show the federal government doesn't have the Constitutional authority to regulate even 1% of the things it regulates:
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

Default Re: Which views he expressed are ignorant?

Just wondering, what is sensible?

100 mph capability?

90 mph?

80 mph?

These are all over any legal speed limits that I'm aware of. Should all vehicles be governed so that they cannot ever exceed the speed limit?

Laws don't prevent accidents, people do. You can still crash and die while traveling well below the speed limit.. but you know this.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote