Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #91
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

Regarding the legislating away of sportsbikes:

You must all be very young, how is in noone has mentioned The Danforth Bill of the mid 1980s? sen. Danforth (R) of missouri propsed just such legislation around 1985, with the idea of limiting the displacement and horsepower of motorcycles.

all the major magazines of the time (Cycle, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, and Cycle Guide) printed articles about the bill, which , not surprisingly was mostly filled with the same flawed and prejudicial arguments as the ESPN writer's essay.

the bill failed, obviously, in large part because many motorcyclists, myself included, wrote our senators and congresspersons against it.

hopefully such would be the case again were it to come to that.

Bigdx, you are a self-admitted snitch, who gleefully rats out other motorcyclists who you might see behaving in a way that you don't find suitable. You statements in many of your replies to this thread are at best disingenuous, and at worst, lies. I find you unworthy of respect, or of being taken seriously.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #92
bigdx
Founding Member

"I'll say it again... Divide that 200 mph figure by 2.. now you have 100 mph. Is this absurd? You can't just pick a number without any justification."

Not sure what you are saying

"Is the justification that the Hayabusa that Ben was riding can approach 200 mph?"

Ditto

"The emotional part of the column is the reaction to the Hayabusa"

Sure, and thatÂ’s how laws get passed i.e like JessieÂ’s law, - molesting kids have always been wrong, but Jessies law only came once it became personal (i.e. emotional)

"but is it any worse than a vehicle that only reaches 80 mph?"

Absolutely. Lots of data available on correlation between speed and increased accidents.

"What would someone say to a Hayabusa limited to 60 mph with the same acceleration? Is it more safe because it has a lower top speed?"

Absolutely

"How about a 500 hp Z06 with nearly the same acceleration, is it more safe? Would one have a good chance of surviving a top speed crash in a Z06?"

Also bad. However, it is rather childish to offset one evil by referring to another. Both busas and 500hp corvettes should not be allowed on public roads.

"Singling out one type of vehicle based on little other than conjecture makes little sense, especially when one is doing so in legislation."

No conjecture about the Busas speed. That is fact (albeit sometimes numbers are quoted incorrectly)

"While we're at it, let's add side impact airbags to Corvettes, Buicks, minivans, etc. Let's add rollcages, require helmets for drivers, and reduce acceleration dramatically"

Were already forced to use seatbelts, so the things you mention may be in the pipeline. I am sure it has (is) been thought of.

"Apparently freedom is less important than preventing every opportunity for one to be harmed."

Yep, many folks out there want to save you from yourself. It is a bad idea to give them ammunition.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #93
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

There was Joan Claybrook before Danforth. Remember that doin right ain't got no end.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 AM   #94
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Kill Ratio

Always willing to please!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 AM   #95
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You better hurry up and get that Ducati to get your cool factor back up to below average.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #96
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: There isn't even a safety benefit for the driver

There's a book that was recently published called High and Mighty: SUVs: The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way by Keith Bradsher.

Bradsher is a Detroit auto industry writer and a severe critic of SUVs. You'll find those stats in the book (I believe they're from the NHTA). We all know stats can lie, but in this case, there's not all that much to fudge.

What most people believe is that because they're in a civilian tank, they're better protected than in a car. That's only true for certain types of accicents. As we all know, SUVs roll over much more, and worse, the larger truck-based models are classified as light trucks, which aren't required to have the same rollover protection as cars and minivans. Not a good combination at all.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's lots of stuff that we've all suspected that's confirmed: SUVs almost never get driven off-road yet many owners just want to be percieved as adventurous and rugged. Auto industry market reseach shows the target SUV buyer is self-centered and is not confident about his/her driving skills. And much more.

I don't know if Bradsher believes this (I'm reading the book now, but I have read a very detailed synopsis of his main themes; he's been on this for a while), but I can't remember the auto makers ever claiming that SUVs are any safer, or as safe, as any vehicle in their marketing. They just sort of let the public make the inference that they must be because of their size.

Anyway, the book is one man's take, but so much of it rings true that it's hard not to take very seriously.

From powells.com on High and Mighty: "...SUVs and light pickup trucks now make up at least half of all new vehicle sales in the US. This is despite the fact that they posses high-polluting engines, poor gas mileage, and careless and unsafe body-design, not to mention the risks they pose to other drivers who can't see past them or are blinded by their badly placed headlights (or, God forbid, are hit by them)..."

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #97
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

LOL. I literally found out today that I'm headed back to school (loan decision was finalized) so I have a hard choice to make. If I stay working, I get the Ducati in the spring. If I go to school, then the Thruxton goes into storage for the duration: 8 mos. minimum and perhaps as long as 2 years. A buddy will lend me his 50cc Vespa to drive because he's not using it, but it just won't be the same.

It appears there is no cool for me. So close.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #98
pplassm
Founding Member

Are you kidding? Vespa's are waaaaaay cool. Chicks dig'em.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #99
pplassm
Founding Member

Yeah, remember the backwards-bike?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #100
bigdx
Founding Member

"Come to think of it, my first big bike, a 93 KLR 600 was capable of 100 mph"

600cc is a big bike?

"What type of motorcycle would you think is clever and responsible?"

There is no such thing

"So you think owning a powerful motorcycle makes you a more dangerous rider?"

No, I think no safe (read responsible) rider would ever want to own such a motorcycle.

"I've seen hundreds of bikers on small capacity bikes riding like maniacs, oblivous to their surroundings... Do you think they are less of a menace?"

No

"The real issue here is training and attitude. Not the bike you are riding. It's as simple as that."

Your attitude (and financial ability) will dictate what bike your purchase.

"Please stop calling people stupid because they choose to ride powerful motorcycles."

Nope, I call it as I see it. Buy a 200mph bike and f*ck it up for all bikers.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote