Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #21
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: High-Speed Motorcycles Proving Too Fast for Chicago Cops.

It wouldn't slow them down. For anyone dumb enough to go 168 on public freeways in major cities threat of loss of life is not a powerful enough negative incentive.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
gr8shandini
Registered Member

My problem is that as ridiculous as it is to do 170 on the open road, doing say 110 somewhere out in South Dakota might be reasonable. Some folks are safe at triple digit speeds and others are dangerous in the parking lot. Speed is the only thing they can put a hard number to and get guilty pleas so it gets ruthlessly enforced while I have never seen someone over for far more dangerous infractions like weaving through traffic and talking on cell phones.

Plus there's the added discrimination against motorcylists. When's the last time you've heard of someone having his car seized for a traffic offense?
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #23
pdad13
Founding Member

Oh, God, that was funny, LR.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
sarnali
Founding Member

ALRIIIIGHT LONGRIIIIIDDE, Represent brah, GPTB kicks ass y'all

...***** yeah..

Don't the Chicago Heat even know what a Hybusa looks like?...lame brains..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Rule the Universe!

Right on! Death Sentence for Speeders! Death Sentence for Anyone who Ever breaks Any Rule of Any kind Ever! Yes Sir, lot less of those "non-Rule followers" around then. Why it'd be Heaven on Earth if only Everyone would Always follow All the Rules, 'course we'd need more Rules just to make sure that no matter what you do you'd be breaking some rule.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #26
orcyclist
Founding Member

I read the article. What a load of crap. Bikes that routinely het 200. Last time I checked the MotoGP bikes only hit 200 on certain tracks. Remember that the drag increases by the square od f the speed increase. (That means that 200 is really really hard to reach)

Sounds like "lou" is a figment of someone's imagination. 168 (indicated?) is a fishy number. Boy he is a really cool customer to be able to do all of that at "168". I am way to engaged with where I am going at those speeds to worry about what is behind me.

Yeah I speed. I do it in a considered way - at the track. Light or no traffic. Good roads. No cops. Medical ,if I screw up. By the way a 100 mph corner is way more interesting than 140-150 on a straight (excepthwhen it comes to braking for the corner). And a fast lap at the track is way more fun and way more difficult.

Spend your money on track days. Your stock bike is way more capable than you probably are as a rider. Yeah, it is humbling and difficult. Depending on the track and depending on the woman ia treack day can be better than sex. (Well maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But you get the point.)

After I ride a track day, when I get back on the road (I ride every day commuting) All of those curbs, trees, fences and driveways ( and cops) look ever more dangerous. Top speed runs are just boring, require no talent and less brains.

Nuf outa me.

Hey stupids - go to the track!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: And put a tax on taxes!

Or Texas!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Rule the Universe!

I did not say death to speeders. I said death to those who evade law enforcement officers. If you see lights you pull over. If you do not pull over then the cops should have every right to stop the idiot that has created the problem in the first place. So the rant you wrote will not hold water for me. Try again.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #29
orcyclist
Founding Member

Begin flame

OK, but why not just prosecute them if they crash or hurt someone else. Put them away if they voluntarily take actions that hurt or kill someone. Treat THAT as a the big crime. (BTW same for DUI)

Deadly force will only result in an escalation of force between the parties. As if killing an insurgent in Iraq will stop them from fighting. Get real. You're gonna kill some 17 yr old because he runs? Get real man. What if he was YOUR kid. Just because you are from a perfect family that doen't mean that your kids won't go nuts every now and then. Look some kid's mother in the eye and tell her her kid "got what he deserved." You are real cold. Do you even ride? Never broke a law, eh?

BTW I spent 12 years as a District Attorney so I have paid my dues. I earend a reputation for prisecuting hard cases, but put our energy toward real crime - Like corporate crime. My belief is that speed by itself is not a problem. (See Autobahn, see jet aircraft, see Bonneville) Why not have one night a month when the interstate (a section) is open for top speed runs? Have the cops prtect the motocycilsts not try to eliminate them. Like prohibition making big fines for speeding won't stop it. THere's a reason that Goose (in Top Gun ) said "I feel the need for speed." It's part of us to want to go faster.

What does bail bond have to do with speeding? Insurance cpmpanies are corporations that have a monoply (auto insurance) so referring to that doesn't give you any credibility in my eyes. Cops have their agenda too. I know, having workrd with them for a long time. Sme of the fastest riders I know are cops (but they have "immunity")

THat being said. I detest squids and their behavior. Give them an outlet, banning them and their behavior never works.

End of flame
Old 08-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #30
acecycleins
Founding Member

Bail bonds means I've spent that 10 years getting morons out of jail for this exact thing. Being an insurance agent means that my year-end production numbers for any insurance company are affected by the claims people make for this, as well. And cops and lawyers do have agendas. As you know since you were a lawyer for the state. So your re-butt for my previous remarks blow big hairy chunks.

If my seventeen year old kid were killed for being stupid, would I hold the police responsible? Hell no- they are doing their job. Would I go to every defensive driving course I could attend and tell my story of my former childs stupidity? Hell yes!! If you show things by example then sometimes messages get through.

If you are so irresponsible as to put the public in danger with your actions then you need to be removed from the situation- even if that means you loose your life because of it.

Last night in Atlanta a group of motorcyclist were riding a stretch of I-20 at over 100 mph. The police chase that began around I-285. They all were going around 140 when they came up on Penola Rd. Squid #1 (now tango-uniform) departed his bike after it hit a MOVING lumber truck at around 130 or so the cops think. Squid took flight and lost his life. It was late so it was light traffic. The outcome fits the situation because of stupidity. If the squid would have stopped it would have been a simple excessive speeding ticket (probably jail for a $300 bond) and life goes on with points on you record. But he chose to run and now his momma is crying boo-hoo to the police for the chase. Who's right Mr DA? The momma who thinks that the cops shouldn't be chasing or the cops that enforce the law?

If you screw with the law (we are a nation built on the "rule of law") the a price has to be paid. If it endangers others and the price is death for one instead of the possible death of the innocent then so be it......