Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: High-Speed Motorcycles Proving Too Fast for Chicago Cops.

Great....

***** squids.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
naco_traficante
Founding Member

The article smells like something created by anti-bike journalists ... too much general info and is "Lou" even for real ? The article doesn't give stats for how many rocketeers of this type crash and burn every night long before they can annoy the police. I just hope that if anyone is going to speed like this they don't hurt anybody else.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Low-Speed Motorcycles Proving Too Slow for Chicago Cops.

I did the same thing on my Cushman Super Eagle a few years ago, but around here the cops all had Dodge Darts with slant sixes.

"He hit his lights and slid right by me, couldn't stop fast enough, so I rode into a nearby hedge of jacaranda and hid."

Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
MOwings
Founding Member

I like the comment about we used to be able to catch them when they only did 170 LOL! (paraphrasing). LIke there is a difference between 170 and 190. They should know the crotch rockets are limited to 186 mph by a gentlemens agreement anyway unless its been modified. It is scary though. These guys need to find a race track or go to bonnevile. Insane speeds can be as bad for our rights as loud pipes. You have to choose your place and time. A city street ain't it.
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Bonneville is about 10 days away...riding up in the mothership with Hairball racing. Should be a hoot.

Lookout Bendover!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #16
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

If 'ol Lou is a cruisin' down the Bishop Ford knowin' he's a goin' 168MPH an' noticin' Cops behind him I'm a guessin' it wasn't rush hour.

I'm also guessing that his story sounds "fishy". First he's already speeding and "noticed the flashing lights of an Illinois State Police car behind him...". Then ""The trooper "hit his lights, and I was gone,"" Kind of a two-fer eh? Either version would have worked better alone IMHO.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #17
rgewirtz
Founding Member

Lou has cruise control. So he just set it at 168 and was able to sit side-saddle and look behind him, avoiding the mirror vibration issue.

Perhaps he had his digital speedo set on metric, and he was really doing 168 kph.
rgewirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #18
gr8shandini
Founding Member

Yeah, this story is very poorly written. If I were to take "Lou" at his word based on this piece, the trooper was doing 170sh behind him when he turned on his lights but "Lou" was able to accelerate away using his monster Kawi. All patently untrue.

And I love how cops do this all "in the interest of safety." Here's an idea that'll increase safety and keep folks out of jail at the same time: unrestricted speed limits on interstates outside of city limits. People could go get their speed fix on I-80 where it's safe and not be going ton up through town. Of course, that's not gonna line the coffers, so that's out.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The average speed you can go on the Bishop Ford year round is 16.8 mph. I'd love to know what time he was going 168.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

Lou is the reason that police, feds, the EU and Insurance companies hate sportbikes. Lou and all the other Lou wannabes are just mucking up the works. As far as I'm concern, if you evade the police then the police should be able to use deadly force to stop you. It's that cut and dry. No slap on the wrist for being a bad boy. Just take them out. Then all the the rest of the squids might wise up when they know that a possible loss of life looms if they run. Sorry if you disagree with this but after 10 yrs in the bail bond business and 7 yrs in the insurance business and having a family filled with cops and lawyers you have little pity on the stupid.