Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #21
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: An Unholy Ordinance!

Everyone please read the link posted by eekadog. Cleary there is no intent to inforce an illegal law, and it may have been a mistake, maybe not. But the police there aren't going to enforce it anyway, and at least some commissioners didn't realize they were banning street legal motorcycles.

That said let your money do the talking, don't visit there, don't buy property there, don't patronize them and let them know that you're going to do that. I imagine they'll do quite a PR effort to undo this once they realize the outrage.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #22
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: No this isn't legal

I am a 30+ year rider. I commute daily in Oregon (usually 5 days off becasue of snow) I am increasingly concerned that the Loud pipes crowd and racer wannabes will spoil it for all of us.

My track bike (yes track bike) has a race pipe on it but it has less than 100 db level. How do I know? Our local racetrack is public property and we are subject to the general noise ordinance. Actually I never think of how much noise I am making as I tip it into a corner. I am far too occupied otherwise. I still have lots of fun.

I think that there should be a sound level for aftermarket pipes. Say 100 db. All makes. If some Yahoo has straight pipes on his HD then take his bike off the road. Same for the sportbike crowd. (By the way I have a sportbike too.) And if you want a good source of revenue for cities, niose ordinances are easy pickings.

By the way the ordinance was designed to stop ATV's and off road bikes from ripping up the local landscape. That's a whole other can of worms.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #23
jhinton
Registered Member

Noise has everything to do with it. The general public sees cars as a basic required mode of transportation that they use daily. That same generally public views motorcycles as obnoxiously loud toys that a tiny part of the population rides on weekends for fun. So though some cars may be loud, they are perceived a being a very small percentage of the total, while most people assume that all motorcycles are loud.

Lots of people of have asked me how I made my BMW motorcycle so quiet. It seems most people mistakenly believe that Harleys come from the factory with straight pipes and sportbikes with race cans.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #24
orcyclist
Founding Member

Hey, It's FLORIDA. The home of lots of weird things and folks. Not the first nor last dumb thing that will happen there. (not that Floridians have corner on sutpidity, just a a majority share)

Apparently the commisioners in North Point are WAAAAY too busy to even read the rodinance. You bunch of Crackers! Probably all Rebublicans to boot.

Done with rant.

Thanks, I feel much better now. Have a nice weekend.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 AM   #25
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: apparently it was a

Quote: "I'm so sick of this," said Gross, who originally brought the issue up last month to commissioners for consideration. "Motorcycles were tearing up areas on the east end of town too."

That's a bit more sane, though I'm left to wonder why street legal 4x4's aren't banned as well, since they "tear up" the ground. For that matter, why not ban all motor vehicles. *grin*
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #26
NLJ
Founding Member

I lived in Port Charlotte not long ago, and had heard of this legislation previously.

If you read the excerpt again it states

"5.1. Off-road vehicles, motorcycles and ATVs shall not be operated..."

the "Off-road" portion applies to vehicles motorcycles and atv's. This isn't a ban against legally registered street motorcycles. Lot's of people in that area use off-road, unregistered motorcycles, and atv's on the public streets. It's a serious hazard, as most of these people are young, under 18, and don't often follow traffic laws.

This also should include all of these non-street legal mini-choppers and scooters. Those have no business being on the city streets.

NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #27
Gritboy
Founding Member

I sold my very loud and modified ZX-9R for a V-Strom 650, both because it was just as much fun (including trails), was more practical, and was a damned quiet moto. My wife drives a straight piped Suzuki Volusia and we "argue" a lot about the reasons/point of loud pipes -- when we ride together she gets lots of "thumbs up" from bikers, be annoyed looks for the rest of humankind.

I couldn't agree more that "street/offroad" pipes should be more strictly limited on noise. They don't need to be quiet (a nice rumble or growl makes all of us feel warm and fuzzy), but they need to be in the realm of sanity dBwise. For track/competition I don't limits are needed.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

I recomend a high altitude night raid with 5000 lb Daisey Cutters to crack the buildings open, followed by a area wide incindiary attack to get a good conflageration going.......wait three or four hours to give all the emergency response teams time to arrive and get their equipment set up, and then hit them again with GP's ..

It worked for Arthur Harris on much bigger cities than North Port, should have excellent results here. After a BDA, send in some Air Mobile Armored Cavalry to secure the area and stop these ideas from spreading any further and the problem is solved

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Ensure that the final mop-up is completed with flamethrowers and hand grenades.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

I was thinking D-9 Cat's to level the area and then cover the ground with a few thousand pounds of salt as a reminder.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote