Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: apparently it was a

Yeah but they still want to keep people from riding dirt bikes on their own property, and that sucks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: An Unholy Ordinance!

"Can someone please explain to me how a legal and licensed street motocycle with state plates and tags can be prohibited from operating on any public road?"

I can explain it. The public has been brainwashed into thinking that everything in our life is a "privilege" that is given to us by our all knowing, ever compassionate government. You believe that driving is a privilege and not a right, don't you? When they decide to take that "privilege" away, it's because we have been bad boys and girls and deserve it. Remember Kindergarten? It kinda works the same way. If Little Johnny gets caught chewing gum in class, the whole class gets punished. We are the kiddies and they are the teachers. We are much too stupid to be trusted to make our own decisions in life, so they must be made for us. Get used to it, as long as you believe that nothing is your right, and the gov knws better than you do.

"Do we get a refund, then, on our portion of taxes spent on supporting public highways and infrastructure? Me thinks not."

Yeah, you will get a refund. The check is in the mail. Should arrive any day now.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

C'mon now. John Burns himself assured us that these things would never happen. He said so himself, and I believe him.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #14
jhinton
Registered Member

Default No this isn't legal

I'm not sure why everyone is in an uproar about this. No, this isnÂ’t legal and will not hold up in court. It is illegal to bar a legally registered vehicle from any road that has used state or federal dollars for construction or maintenance. If North Port, FL were a private community with locally built roads it would be legal. The exception for this law is for commercial vehicles. Of course laws can change and we as motorcyclist arenÂ’t helping ourselves.

As others have noted, there is a reason that the local population as taken the effort to attempt to ban motorcycles from their community. This is most likely due to too many arm chap wearing HellÂ’s Angels wannabes with straight pipes and their counterparts the Stunt BoyZ wannabes with race cans. At least this is the most common complaint I hear from non-riders and riders alike.

Even as someone that commutes everyday on a motorcycle, IÂ’ve started to become increasingly annoyed with my fellow motorcyclists. Some examples:

This past 4th of July my family went to Washington, DC. While is the area we went to Gettysburg National Battlefield. It just so happens that that week was GettysburgÂ’s "Bike Week". There was no a single place on that battlefield (which is multiple square miles is size BTW) that we didnÂ’t hear the roar of straight piped motorcycles. While we were in town, you couldnÂ’t walk down the street and carry on a conversation because the motorcycles were so loud that you couldnÂ’t hear the person next to you.

I live by the Smoky Mountain National Park and hike there quite often. However, on weekends, even when hiking miles off the main roads, I hear motorcycles every couple of minutes. Notice, I didnÂ’t say that I hear traffic, I said I hear MOTORCYCLES. From miles away, I hear the distinct "Potato-Potato" from the straight pipes of Harleys and their clones and the high-pitched whine of sportbikes with race cans.

Race cans belong on the racetrack and straight pipes in the scrap yard. There is no reason to pull off stock pipes to put on annoying and illegal aftermarket exhausts. Lets stop pissing people off before they legislate us out of existence.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: No this isn't legal

Noise has nothing to do with it. So they will legislate cars off the road because of the loud ones out there? Hardly. There are more loud cars than there are registered motorcycles in Illinois, and I'd bet my last nickel on that one. If banning anything that annoys us is the norm, I have plenty of stuff that pisses me off.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Worst of all... the ordinance was a mistake! Typical stupid politicians.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 AM   #17
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

At least in my neck of the woods, loud bikes outnumber loud cars 10 to 1, especially on the weekend.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

If you'd read the articles you'd have seen that they are banning OHVs and that the ban on streetbikes was a dumb mistake.

Not that we should be surprised at stupid govt mistakes by now.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
tarheelbob
Founding Member

"Privilege" is exactly right. One that is earned and paid for by qualified taxpayers. I just don't think some misguided, geriatric locality has the jack to enforce their version of what constitutes a legal street vehicle on public roads.

Think the check will get here before the weekend? I've got some arm chaps and straight pipes I've been looking at..............
tarheelbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:49 AM   #20
opie
Founding Member

Thanks, all of you loud pipe peabrains. You're safe now. At least from any of us being able to ride there. If I'm accidentally ticketed while riding through FLA, I'll be sure to send it to www.loudpipetrollssuck.com.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote