Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   LoJack Reports Bike Theft Trends for First Half of '06 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/3778-lojack-reports-bike-theft-trends-for-first-half-06-a.html)

blackie-svt 07-25-2006 10:24 AM

Re: LoJack Reports Bike Theft Trends for First Half of '06

Try this:

LoJack

Dangerousdave_2 07-25-2006 10:34 AM

Well, I'm pretty shocked. Viragos less likely to crash, than a Gixxer. Who'd a thunk it?

Dangerousdave_2 07-25-2006 10:37 AM

Something to put into your calculations: I got LoJac for my Acura TSX. Cost six to eight hundred bucks. My insurance company cut my insurance by six (6) dollars a year.

Gritboy 07-25-2006 10:54 AM

No surprise here. The most likely to crash bikes are generally ridden by those choosing to be fast and/or reckless -- regardless of rider experience -- so that makes sense. Whereas, the east likely to crash are smaller, starter bikes (mostly) generally chosen by new riders or pragmatic commuters who aren't looking to be insanely fast and/or reckless on their bikes. The most likely to be stolen made sense too, but the least likely threw me a bit.

Gritboy 07-25-2006 10:59 AM

My V-Strom 650 isn't likely to draw much attention by thieves, whereas I had to constantly worry -- especially in my old neighborhood -- about my ZX-9R. Regardless, where you park, and what other cars/bikes you park next to, and how you lock up your bike probably are the best deterrents... a LoJack seems excessive and pricey unless you have a one-of-a-kind bike.

manalagi001 07-25-2006 12:00 PM

Hm. Says nothing on their site about how much it costs. All I can tell so far is that it's probably $800 or less to get started.

bigdx 07-25-2006 01:01 PM

YouÂ’d be amazed at some idiots on this board that think otherwise ... but then the same numbskull thinks electric motors will put HD out of business.

bigdx 07-25-2006 01:06 PM

"The most likely to crash bikes are generally ridden by those choosing to be fast and/or reckless -- regardless of rider experience"

Amen. Avoiding an accident has little to do with skill, lots to do with attitude.

I am also somewhat surprised that ricers are the most likely to be stolen. I would have expected Harleys to be way up there. Not that I am sorry to hear that though.

Dangerousdave_2 07-25-2006 02:28 PM

Maybe they're too heavy to carry off.

pikehk 07-25-2006 04:14 PM

I work on the Auto Theft Task Force here in Atlanta I talk with the Lo Jack guy a lot and we track a lot of them. If your bike has Lo Jack on it and it passes through Atlanta we will find it 99% of the time. It cost 600 dollars no one knows what it looks like not even the police. Installers go through rigorous background checks. In Atlanta sport bikes always get stolen. They tried to get mine but couldn't get it started. It is a great system I highly recommend it.