Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Spirit of 'The Wild One' Won't Die.

Gosh how could you possibly have a motorcycle rally without official sanction and a ticket?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Gritboy
Founding Member

LOL! Well there's nothing illegal about visiting a town sanctioned or not. It's hard to kill an event that's become a staple of American bikerdom... liked or not. It's perhaps a sign of times to come for events that focus on loud pipes, mounds of black leather and a bottle of Jack in every saddlebag. I'm an adventure rider these days, so I tend to want something else out of my biking experience & culture, but it may be time -- if bikers are willing to tone down their bad boy attitude/image (can't blame 'em if they don't) -- to look for a remote locale to hold a total biker event akin to Burning Man or some such. Of course without some "locals" to shock/scare, it may not be fun for the more devilish riders.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Did the original Hollister rally have an official city sanction? If it didn't, then wouldn't this rally be closer to the original in spirit than the others?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

The original rally wasn't that big of a deal. The rodeos are worse. It was BS created by Life magazine.

So, in a sense the new rally is more like the Life Magazine fake rally than the small original rally. Weird.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Lastwatch
Founding Member

Check out Little Sturgis. It's definitely the wildest large scale even that goes on.
Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
pdad13
Founding Member

Yep. The original rally got its bad rep mostly from exaggerated stories and a famous pic of a "biker" brandishing a bottle of liquor from a parked bike. The "biker" was just some non-riding drunk that the photographer posed on the bike.

The rioting/anarchy stories were a fabrication. The bikers were supposed to have taken over the main street and terrorized the locals by racing up and down it. As I understand it, the local police/authorities actually closed the street so the bikers could use it in good fun and provide a little entertainment. Nice cops, actually.

Then, of course, Hollywood stepped in and made "The Wild One," which had almost nothing to do with the actual event. A legend was born.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Most people aren't aware that Henry Luce, the publisher of Life, was notorious for saying that a journalist could get away with selling "part" of his integrity. He was also an LSD addict. I remember an interview with Paul McCartney where he also complained that Life misrepresented the Beatles and their endorsement of drugs.

Luce was one bizarre guy. Looks like most of the news media has taken after him though. From the few stories I have personal knowledge of I've had to conclude that most reporters are on LSD to come up with the interpretations of the facts that they print.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
svo68
Registered Member

58% support the rally......Sheriff says: county is tired of the thing......democracy in action....
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Back in 1970 I worked at the City of Commerce International paper plant and my foreman there was Al Hollinger who actually rode up and participated in the original Hollister run. He often said he had zero respect for the print media specifically because of the coverage given about the Hollister run
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
KyleTheZombieKiller
Founding Member

If you outlaw motorcycle rallies, only outlaws will have motorcycle rallies.
KyleTheZombieKiller is offline   Reply With Quote