Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Rich Man, Poor Man (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/3669-rich-man-poor-man.html)

Fenton 06-14-2006 12:09 PM

New news?

I've been dressing in dirty old clothes and pushing around a shopping cart with a three legged dog during my free time. I'm moving in on the homless territory.

m_t_yeo 06-14-2006 12:21 PM

Re: Rich Man, Poor Man

She's not a moron.

She's pointing out a known trend. Prior to 1900, styles in virtually everything (food, clothing, music, literature, etc.) were set by the idle rich. Who made the music? Full-time musicians paid salaries by rich patrons. Who wrote the novels? The rich who had the time and the education to sit down and write. Who dictated clothing style? The rich with their powdered wigs and pretentious gold buttons and thread. The middle class, what there was of it, tried to copy them as best they could. They couldn't copy the poor because the poor didn't own anything to copy ... unless you wanted to copy rags.

Past 1900, everything changed, starting with the music. Jazz and blues in the 1920s were the groundbreakers, bringing street music to the rich, who still dicated most of the other styles. Past 1950, though, even the clothing and speech patterns began to come from the street, with rock and roll, leather jackets and souped up cars becoming the 'cool' look. The preps were ridiculed instead of being copied. The mods and rocker movements in the UK both came from lower class backgrounds. Novelists began to come from something other than the upper crust (Henry Miller, Hunter S. Thompson, etc.) as did musicians (Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones).

Now, you can't find a single style of music that hasn't originated from the street except for classical. Virtually all the trends in clothing originate from the street (hoodies, baggy jeans, high-tops, sandals, etc.), including tattoos. Design houses regularly send employees out into the clubs of what are considered key cities (NYC, LA, Paris, London) to see what the kids are wearing, doing and listening to. See it there and a couple of months later, it is on a hanger somewhere in a department store. Some brands, like Nike, have even gone so far as 'seeding' themselves into the poorer areas by building Nike branded courts and giving away shoes in ghetto neighbourhoods in order to try and capture the cool factor that the ghetto has right now.

You even see it with motorcycles ... the average income of a Harley owner is well above the average US income. Do you think it was like that 50 years ago? The upper middle class wouldn't have been caught dead on a Harley and now they are flocking to the brand as fast as they can jump on the bandwagon.

So, it isn't so much that the old gives way to the new (which is always true), but that the rich have given way to the poor as the creators of fashion and style for the bulk of society.

TomSmith 06-14-2006 12:22 PM

Re: the colors..the colors...

You forgot about the Heroin, Cocaine and everything else that's legal in the Netherlands. My former boss went there on vacation and said seeing the Amsterdam central park full of druggies shooting up and snorting was like visiting Hell. He didn't say what he was doing there.

dan140 06-14-2006 12:24 PM

Re: The truth hurts

ABSOLUTELY! It all comes down to either spending your life trying to impress others, hoping you'll eventually be happy that way...or just going out and doing whatever the XXXX you enjoy doing-right now! Just don't forget: This MIGHT be your only life!

Gluge 06-14-2006 12:24 PM

Re: The truth hurts

Hmm I pretty much agree, but I think there are sport bike riders that just ride in groups for the imagine as well, but I feel like it's a lot lower precent than harley riders.

And what is wrong with a small bore bike? I have a RS125 and I bet it yeilds me a lot more excitement than most people's 1000cc sport bikes.

nesbit 06-14-2006 12:30 PM

Karen's efforts are pathetic. It reflects the growing riff between academia and reality. Given that she's not entirely off on some irrelevant and bizarre sociological tangent, what she appears to really want is her grant money. Sadly, what she critically needs is a life. Regarding tattoos, piercings, etc, actually all forms of cutting, George Carlin said it best -"self esteem through self abuse".

seruzawa 06-14-2006 12:37 PM

Re: New news?

So, Freelander.... how do you like your new "Derelicte" look?

Magnum!

seruzawa 06-14-2006 12:38 PM

Re: New news?

That's "Zoolander", seruzawa, you idiot!

m_t_yeo 06-14-2006 12:39 PM

A Perfect Example ...

My ex-wife once forwarded me a rebuttal against all philosophers, complaining that their prose was so thick that the general public couldn't hope to understand the great and grand ideas the philosophers were putting forth. The philosopher who wrote it, though, lost his impact when I had to read his article several times to get through the thick mess of shyt he had put onto the page.

johnnyb 06-14-2006 12:46 PM

MT yeo u hit it on head. As we males become increasingly domesticated and declawed metrosexuals, we make feeble attempts to emulate real men of yore. Your uppity Black man, your rebel biker, your cowboy, your guy with low-riding boxers. Eh? Never mind.

Personally I am going opposite direction. As I type this, i am wearing a silk ascot and smoking jacket, Argyll socks and smoking a virginia slim in an ivory holder. Pencil mustache growing in nicely.

It is all because Ronald Reagan transfer of wealth means lower-class guys can no longer afford nice bikes. And middle class guys can no longer afford nice cars so they settle for nice bikes. Remember when typical working guy could swing a new Mustang GT or Camaro no sweat? No more.