Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #201
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Rich Man, Poor Man

Oh, they knew they were getting screwed, but couldn't add up by how much. I wonder how long the middle ages would have lasted if they knew that 99% of the wealth went to 1% of the population?

Some serfs trained, btw. All archers were common, for example and the bulk of the footmen were serfs pressed into service and given more lands in exchange. These later became the English medieval equivalent of the middle class, the Yeomen. Booty and the extra land put them above the standard peasant.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #202
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: The truth hurts part 2

They are, and it is all because of foreign ventures.

How many bases does the US operate outside the continental US? I don't think there is another country in the world with such a bent on projecting their power outside their borders as the US, and that transcends Bush or Clinton because that was a project started a long time ago with the invasion of the Phillipines around the turn of the century.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #203
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: JB, looks like your buddy is doing fine!

Where's the drama in that? Not nearly enough face time when your are only writing a check...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #204
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Boom Bust Vodoo economics by W (Laffer boy Cheney)

Could it also be the very public threat by the Repubs to wipe the filibuster option off the map permanently if the Dems do filibuster everything to death?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #205
ksquid
Banned

Default Actions speak louder than words

Actions
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #206
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I'll give you that. She didn't choose her language carefully and it sounded like the rich all met at some Bilderberger conference to plan an attack on the poor by appropriating their symbols.

As for the poverty issue and motorcycles, I agree to a point.

China and India use the motorcycle out of sheer necessity, but I don't think the western countries have faced that level of necessity in a long, long time. Even some of the poorest of us still manage to keep a beater car on the road and when you are faced with limited funds, buying a vehicle that is useful part of the time (motorcycle) vs. all of the time (car) becomes a no brainer. As long as a car is even an option, people will take the car. In China and India the car isn't an option for crowding, fuel efficiency, materials reasons. and so they continue to buy motorcycles.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #207
Fenton
Founding Member

Now, I like this post.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #208
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I actually agree. I used my condo to compare with my Dad's house because they are the same size, but just try and find a house that small these days.

The average home now is over twice as large as the average home in 1960 and is better built (read: more expensive to manufacture). Any wonder they cost more or that people are jumping into more debt to get into a home?

Instead of having *a* car for a family, now every member of the family over 16 has to have their own vehicle. In my family, there was one time when there were 6 vehicles in our driveway, one for every person in the home. That was unheard of in the 50s, except for the ultra rich. Cars are better built, too, and are held to a lot more safety standards, so are more expensive by far to manufacture.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #209
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Boom Bust Vodoo economics by W (Laffer boy Cheney)

Oh please. The Republican'ts are so famous for making empty threats that it's ridiculous.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #210
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: A Perfect Example ...

I remember precisely the day when the light went on and I could read complex thought on paper and make sense of it. It was hard work, but you could see the value of it once you got past the verbiage and could parse it down into something understandable.

I now have Hegel, Heiddegger and Foucault on my bookshelf, so I guess I'm officially converted, but the average joe, looking from the perspective of useability, isn't going to even put in the effort like I did. Bust their hump to mull through a pile of intentional detritus in order to get at some *idea* that's not even really useful in the 'real world'? I think philosophy needs an image makeover and some PR more than any other discipline.