Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 AM   #171
bigdx
Founding Member

Default How did you know I had a traumatic childhood?

I have been riding for longer than most of you pups have been alive ... and have already bred.

So much for your natural selection shyte no?
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #172
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default JB, looks like your buddy is doing fine!

Since we are on the Rich man, Poor Man theme:

"WASHINGTON - Life after the White House has proven lucrative for former President Clinton, who made nearly $7.5 million in speaking fees last year and sometimes earned as much as $350,000 for a single appearance."

"Between the foundation and work on Katrina and the tsunami, paid speeches are actually a very small part of his schedule," Carson said.

Yuk Yuk! This guy is kidding, right?? I guess the millionaire scumbag needs to save face

Since leaving the White House in 2001, the Clintons have become multimillionaires. The bulk of that new wealth came from his paid appearances and both Clintons' book-writing

deals.

And in case you think he's giving it all to the poor:

"In 2005, the couple held one bank account valued between $5 million and $25 million and reported the same multimillion-dollar range for a separate blind trust."

Not bad for a guy that worries about the poor 24/7. Such a humanitarian! I don't know how he survives on that little!

Now for Hunter Thompson:

. . . . Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson

tells the New York Post that supporting

President Clinton was "one of my greatest

tactical errors in politics."

. . . . "I don't want to go down in history or

have my son read that his father endorsed

Clinton two times," Mr. Thompson said.

. . . . "I had no idea what a treacherous

bastard he really is. I'm shocked he went so

low. You'd think after grappling with Richard

Nixon that you would know where the low road

is, ... but Clinton's treachery is really

sleazy. It's his character defects. I think

Clinton will prove to be one of the great

fascists of our time."

Hunter again:

Bookpgsara: What do you think about Clinton? Where does he come in in the hieracrchy of bad presidents?

Hunter Thompson: Well, we still have a few years to go. Clinton already stands accused formally of worse things than Nixon would have been impeached for. I think Clinton is every bit as. . . he's not as crude as Nixon. But maybe he is. I mean: Paula Jones? "Come over here, little girl, I've got something for you" !? It's almost embarrassing to talk about Clinton as if he were important.

I'd almost prefer Nixon. I'd say Clinton is every bit as corrupt as Nixon, but a lot smoother.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #173
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Career Advice

Wasn't this the same guy that was just bragging about buying a big, new house and a Lexus? If the economic tsunami is coming like he says it is, would he take a drive down to the beach, or head for high ground? Looks like our 'motorcycle prophet' is talking out of two sides of his face again. So either he's an idiot for not taking his own advice, or he's a liar and didn't buy anything.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #174
teapotdome
Registered Member

Default Re: Rich Man, Poor Man

The middle/upper class has always been insecure about being "cool." Look at the eggheads who were all about Dave Brubeck and Van Cliburn in the Fifties. They're now all about Elvis, cruising and heavy petting. At sixty-plus years old.

Who's survived from the Sixties? The bad boys: The Stones. When it comes to the Seventies, they're making documentaries, for crying out loud, about Sid Vicious, not about Barry Manilow.

The so-called "lower class" has always been about "cool" because in a society awash with material wealth, that's all they've got. And it drives the "haves" crazy to think that with all they have, all the b.s. that they've put up with to "achieve" something, has been for nothing.

Materialism yields empty souls. Remember when yuppies wouldn't be caught dead on a bike? They didn't want to sully their Izod sweaters and Sperry Topsiders. When they discovered that 3-Series BMWs were a cliche, they moved on to Harleys, which for them are now also a cliche.

It's both the American blessing and the American curse to not be satisfied with where we are/what we have at any given moment in time. That's true whatever your social class.
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 AM   #175
bmwdude
Founding Member

Truly, I wish someone would explain it to me. It seems as if they are just mad about everything and anything.

From my own experience over there, when they weren't trying kill us they were busy killing each other.

I will honestly admit, I don't understand what their issue is. Not so much with us, because we're over there in their business. I don't get why when we aren't around they all seem to turn on each other!? From on outsiders perspective the whole place looks like a nuthouse!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #176
maladg
Registered Member

Gee, I go out of town for a few days and I miss this? Of course I did get to ride the Foothills Parkway in upstate SC, buy and gnaw on early season peaches, prowl the brewpubs of Ashville, visit Dale W's "Wheels Thru Time" a second time just to see the hillclimbing bikes, ride a patch of the BRPW, blah, blah, blah.

As for you lefties out there: I continue to break wind in your general direction.

And I hope you lefties take the house in '08. Yes I do. I really really want the 'murrican people to have to endure the following: Nancy Pelosi as speaker, Charlie Rangel as chair of appropriations, Waxman as chair of all things that need/must be micromanaged and on and on and on.

Yes, I can't wait! Shall I start shorting the market now?
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:38 AM   #177
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I don't know. On the Canadian Ford site, starting prices are about 3 grand more.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:56 AM   #178
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

That is an interesting point. But the way the professor considered this a troubling way for the rich to oppress the poor? That's what seems so absurd.

I think the issue of motorcycles is more along the lines of the tanning. Used to be - and still is, in places like India or China - that a motorcycle was the only transportation some people could afford. Now that cars last longer, the poor have an easier time finding affordable used cars, and motorcycles are more likely to be either luxury items or at the very least bought by someone who could have afforded a car instead.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #179
gniewko
Registered Member

Default Re: A Perfect Example ...

There are two sides to this coin. Certainly, many academics are unnecessarily verbose in their writing.

But some concepts are complicated enough that they can't be explained adequately with simple language. You have to have a certain base of knowledge to read and understand some writing. You wouldn't expect to understand a complex math paper on a first reading, would you? Same thing with philosophy and many other academic topics.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #180
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: JB, looks like your buddy is doing fine!

Hunter also had some scathing words in regards to Carville.

But Hunter's views are pretty much the reverse of mine. He hated the Demos but completely loathed the Repubs. I think he liked the idea of what the Demos theoretically stood for, but always fell horrendously short.

His hatred for G. W. Bush was far deeper in the end than his disapproval of Clinton. Which isn't surprising considering Hunter's history of political views.

Oddly enough he had some kind of respect/liking towards Nixon as a person (not as a political figure). I think it was the mutual attraction to the NFL and all things football.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote