Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-31-2006, 10:16 AM   #31
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Gas Prices Increasing Motorcycle Sales in SoCal

I vote we get back to north vs. south. Too much left and right lately. Hows 'bout ugly bastards vs. us cutie pies?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

I always liked the East Coast vs. West Coast rants myself. 'Course being a big time West coast leftie I think everyone east of Idaho is a right wing extremeist wacko and I only draw the line at Idaho because they're all nazi's anyway so no one wants them on their side.

As to motorcycling, well yes high gas prices make me ride my motorcycle 12 months a year as do low gas prices or gas prices that are neither high nor low but just right....I have to admit I think they should be higher mainly because I like the glum looks on all the cowboy pick-up and suburbanite SUV drivers with their twice weekly $75.00 fill-ups. These very same drivers I devote a good deal of my riding time trying to avoid as they pinball down the freeway everyday.

I did add up the cost awhile back just for grins and it turns out if I drove my 30 mpg car to work for a month instead of my 40 mpg bike I'd pay about $30.00 more in gas, plus being a screaming leftie I have to stop and get a latte` on the way if I drive so that adds another $2.70 plus a dollar tip...believe me, a dollar tip is a fair price for a cheery good morning Steve and a little battin' o' the eyelids from a drop dead georgous coffee hottie...Us GPTB types have to get it where we can these days..

The ideal solution would be to get a TDI Golf or a Sentra or something that gets 40 to 50 mpg and drive it, but I'd still wind up riding the bike anyway so why spend the money?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #33
staff
Registered Member

Default Letter Gabe just sent to KCAL-9

To: Author of "Hog Heaven" story

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently, I have been in the throes of a mid-life crisis. I always thought I would be a writer of consequence, with an impact on literature and culture worldwide, like Hemingway, Thompson or Orwell.

Instead, I write for a "lifestyle" publication, writing reviews of motorcycles and riding gear. It's fun, and I make a living, but it's probably not going to change the world. I get depressed sometimes; am I just a hack? A cog in the giant PR machine writing fluff pieces to feed the hungry maw of commerce?

Then I read this story. Your total lack of curiosity, use of hearsay and assumptions and lack of adherence to any sort of journalistic standards and traditions made me feel much better about my place in the journalistic community.

Thanks so much! As long as there is TV journalism, I'll never have to work too hard to feel like an intellectual.

Regards,

Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #34
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Letter Gabe just sent to KCAL-9

Hear, hear!!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
schizuki
Founding Member

"However, I didn't expect Bush would really allow is buddies to profit from the higher petrol prices"

Wait a minute - are you telling me oil companies are in it for the money?!?

I'm not sure what's more shocking, that, or the fact that people make money because the President "allows" them to.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #36
Loki22302
Founding Member

Gabe,

Your letter to KCAL made me smile, but you are just pissing against the wind with that mob.

peace,

CDM
Loki22302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It was such an effective article it is shared by two news organizations: KCAL-9 and CBS-2!

I spent quite a few years working as a reporter in TV news and words cannot describe how stupid some of the people who work in the news rooms are.

The problem with all news organizations (not just TV but print and radio as well) is that the people who are too lame to cut it as reporters end up as news directors and assignment editors!

"That guy is an embarrassment on air!"

"Promote him then!"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #38
Tigercub
Founding Member

We're all in this free-market capitalist game for the money. I own shares in petroleum companies too.

But, Bush invaded Iraq to stabilize the oil market for the long term. The opposite has happened in part because of the invasion. Remember that Iraq oil was supposed to pay for the war.

But it was completely unnecessary for Bush to have total disregard for the impact higher gas prices have had on our economy. The shock to me was how much impact it has had on the stock market. I think Bernanke is reacting to the energy impact to inflation, since the core inflation rate is relatively low. The only explanation is that Bush is really very incompetent.

OK, if the middle-east stabilizes politically and petroleum prices come down below $60 per barrel and stay there, then I'm wrong. In the meantime I'm riding my bike and I don't care if gas hits $4 per gallon!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

The gov't would have to charge an additional surcharge on gas and earmark it for something useful - oil exploration??
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #40
ksquid
Banned

kpaul is proud of Gabe..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote