Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   CO in Top Ten in Bike Deaths. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/3627-co-top-ten-bike-deaths.html)

longride 05-30-2006 05:59 AM

Re: CO in Top Ten in Bike Deaths.

I really hate when they hit those baby seals with clubs. I think icepicks would be much more effective, but I'm the kind of guy that is always thinking of ways to improve things.

longride 05-30-2006 06:02 AM

Re: Are we looking at the right things?

"Me thinks it would be more important to AVOID hitting one's head in the first place. "

You know if you start throwing common sense into the argument, you are just going to fu@k up all the other people here. Can't we just have an argument with statistical lies and uninformed opinions without you gumming the works? Sheesh.

BrowningBAR 05-30-2006 06:38 AM

I still have a hard time with the cruiser vs. sport bike crowd and the HD vs. all bikes crowd.

Do you have any idea how many different types of bikes I'd own right now if I had unlimited funds?

sports bikes

standards

cruisers

dual-sport

touring

dirt

And lets not forget the dozen or so older bikes from the 60s and 70s I'd love to buy if I had the time and money to keep them running.

I could easily spend 150 grand on bikes if I had my way.

...than again, I could do the same thing on firearms and that crowd b!tches about each other just as much as the bike crowd.

I hate people....

I cou

seruzawa 05-30-2006 06:39 AM

The only problem with the Eugenics theory (often mistakenly referred to as Darwin's theory) is that it doesn't work. Human beings are no more intelligent today than they were 5 thousand years ago. Some would argue that in many ways they are dumber.... look who gets elected, after all.

seruzawa 05-30-2006 06:48 AM

BTW, there's a really good radio station at Snow college in central Utah that my wife and I listen to when we spend weekends at our cabin. Last Sunday the DJs were quoting Chuck Norris Facts between the cuts. Heh heh. Chuck Norris rules!

When Chuck Norris jumps in a swimming pool he doesn't get wet, the pool gets Chuck Norris.

There aren't any neutral countries. There are just those who haven't figured out which side Chuck Norris is on yet.

sarnali 05-30-2006 07:07 AM

You're absolutly right, seruzawa is wrong and he should have the decency to admit it.

Back on topic......helmets are good, car oil is bad, dead people smell bad and bioweasel makes me want to eat at McDonalds or something....You are free to disagree with me, of course you would be wrong and I have statistics, data and anecdotal evidence to prove it but if you want to disagree you can. It's still a free country until W and his Bushco neocons get done creating their fascist state and wire tapping our cell phones.

pdad13 05-30-2006 07:28 AM

Looks like you're the leader in unsubstantiated bullsh*t

From the Insurance Information Institute:

http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/i...ce/motorcycle/

MAY 2006

"... There has been a dramatic jump in the number of deaths among motorcycle riders age 40 and older in recent years...Older motorcycle riders, who have become an increasingly larger proportion of all motorcyclists, now account for about half of all motorcycle rider fatalities. NHTSA data show that in 2004, 46 percent of motorcycle riders age 40 and over were killed in crashes, compared with 23 percent ten years earlier. In contrast, fatalities among young motorcycle riders have declined in the past ten years relative to other age groups. In 2004 fatalities in the under 30-year old group dropped to 32 percent, from about 50 percent in 1994. Fatalities among motorcyclists in the 30- to 39-year old group fell to 22 percent in 2004, from 26 percent ten years earlier.

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr21.html

"...The majority of the increase in motorcycle deaths -- 60 percent -- involved riders over age 40, the agency (NHTSA) said.

More Americans are riding motorcycles than ever as aging, affluent baby boomers recapture the "Easy Rider" dreams of their youth. In 2003, the median age of all motorcyclists in the United States was 41, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. In 1985, the median age was 27..."

From the medical college of Wisconsin: www.healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002245.html

"...Investigators and health care practitioners are looking at several possible causes for this turnaround in fatalities and death rates, which had been on a steady decline prior to the mid-1990s. Relaxation and repeal of mandatory helmet laws, a big rise in the average age of motorcycle riders, and the increased use of bikes with more powerful engines have all been discussed as factors...The older the driver, the more potential they have for a bad outcome from a crash," says Stephen W. Hargarten, MD, MPH, Medical College of Wisconsin Professor, Chairman of Emergency Medicine and the Director of the Injury Research Center at the College. 'That certainly holds true whether theyÂ’re riding a motorcycle or in a car, but of course a motorcycle offers far less protection...'"

It took about 5 minutes to find this information, numbnuts. III is one of the insurance industry's leading trade information groups.

Your loud-mouthing about "the insurance companies say so" and "my brother-in-law (or whoever) the EMS worker says way more young sportbike riders die" hardly qualifies as a substantiated argument. And, as we've seen, you're dead wrong again.

You're so full of sh*t I'm starting to wonder if you even own a motorcycle.

ddlewis 05-30-2006 08:34 AM

SMACK

It's just a question of who you're going to believe.

The III, or the "facts" pulled straight from bigdx's @ss

...me, I'm just waiting for him to come back and say he had sex with your wife/mother/sister..

dean_1 05-30-2006 08:38 AM

Screw the statistics. I have grown quite an affection to the device that in two of three significant intercourse interruptions was badly damaged leaving me not so badly damaged. Having said that I take great exception to the government that gave me my first nondiscretionary job training (run naked through the jungle and kill people) telling me they are concerned about my welfare.

ccmun 05-30-2006 09:15 AM

Re: Sport bikes vs cruisers

Its not so black and white. According to the Hurt Report (Google it), most accidents occur at slow speed, close to home, when the rider is least alert......Stuff like being hit by car turning in from of the rider. Not sure about the stats on sportbikes vs cruiser issue.