Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Stormwatch '01: MO in the Trenches (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/362-stormwatch-01-mo-trenches.html)

Dryfly 02-27-2001 02:29 PM

Re: Stormwatch

24-7 baby!!!

H1Rabbit 02-27-2001 02:38 PM

Well minime, this winter in Seattle has been a good news/bad news situation. Unlike down in LA, it's been usually dry here. This is great for those mid-winter rides that normally aren't possible. On the other hand, it's bad for our electric rates and it's looking much worse for our summer water power resources (and our salmon).

We've gone through this before but there is an important twist this year. It seems that the GREAT BIG STATE TO THE SOUTH OF OREGON (GBSTTSOO) has implemented (by default, get it?) a completely irresponsible energy plan (or lack thereof).

Normally I wouldn't care except that this "policy" is costing me real $$$. It seems that Washington state is being required by federal law to subsidize this chaos. That would be ok normally, as the GBSTTSOO, in turn, has an agreement to send the power back when we will be needing it.

Well the funny thing this year is that we have to keep sending them our power (which we currently need) without any real hope of getting it back, and may not even get paid for everything we've already sent them.

I've thought and thought about this recently, and I don't think that even if I had stayed awake during those Economics classes back in college that this whole thing would make any sense.

Oh well, if denting my budget for a couple of years or so (delaying my new motorcycle purchase) and killing-off a few more species of salmon is what it takes to keep the Cable Cars going, then I'm willing to be the bigger man and gladly defer my personal wealth & happiness.

They tell me that LA has its own, self-sufficient power supply. I'm so glad you folks are able to avoid this "inconvenience".

Well its another beautiful day here. Instead of drooling over my new Yamaha FZ1 brochure, I think I'll jump on one of my 27 year-old H1s and have a nice ride around the mountains. They look so unusually green this time of year.

SB8RC 02-27-2001 03:13 PM

Thank you at least somebody has some sense around here. 2 strokes do kick ass and if someone whats to about there soccer fields or 2 strokes they can kiss my ass. keep up the good work.

AstonMartin 02-27-2001 06:03 PM

I ride all year 'round. This time of a year I ride my girlfiend(s). Good cardio workout. We're trying to do it in a hammock with one feet up...

A_Nominal_Squid 02-27-2001 06:11 PM

Snow days (defined as days where there is snow covering the road) are excellent for doing general bike maintenance, polishing, reading MO....stuff like that. Now if I had a dirtbike, I'd go out in the snow anyhow...

-a nominal squid-

drwarr 02-27-2001 06:51 PM

Send us some of that rain - It's still too dry around here (Montana).

Why can't you ride in it? You heard of rain suits?

Tom Warr

ldepaoli 02-27-2001 07:06 PM

I live in Brazil and in this time of the yaer it rains a lot. A lot more than you can imagine. And do you kno what I do in th i stime of the year ? I ride my motorcycle.. Yes... I ride it on the rain... Since I don't have a car and I don't have any options I ride my bike what ever the weather is like... Think about it.

cheers from down under

Abe_Froman 02-27-2001 07:23 PM

Waiting for summer....

In Minnesota, we happened to be blessed with copious amounts of precipitation this winter. Fortunately for us, this comes in the form of snow. I miss my R1, but my MXZ 670HO is doing an OK job of keeping me amused. Beyond that, I have two words: Counter-Strike!!! Being a computer geek has its advantages. Get that new Athlon 1GHz, fire it up with a copy of Half-Life, load that Counter-Strike mod and you're good to go!! (Make sure you've also got cable or DSL.)

P.S. Pick up a Playstation 2. There are a few halfway decent games out to waste time with. Just make sure you've got a nice big TV.

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!

beerracer 02-27-2001 07:48 PM

Please, it's rained every other day here since the beginning of Feb. I've been holed up here in arkansas with some single malt. Hope you guys don't live too far from the licka sto. Also, Gore-tex is a must.

ducatirdr 02-28-2001 04:08 AM

Here in Mass. the weather can be dry and cold or a lot of snow like this year.

If you have snow near by take up snowboarding. It so much feels like leaning a bike into a turn. Dragging a glove as you lean real close to the ground is like dragging a knee on the bike only a bit easier to do and less likely of disaster if you lose it.

Snow mobiles are another alternative. The suspensions that they have on these new sleds reach 11.5 inches of travel. that makes for sick big air contests.

Rain sucks. Snow is better.