Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #11
PVJIM
Founding Member

Default Re: Pull over Harley, looks like Honda's on your tail.

I used to work on police bikes for the LA County Sheriff's department. They were disappointed in the high cost associated with using BMW's (they had 19 at the time I was there) over the rest of the fleet which were Kawasaki's. A simple tip over on a beemer was a couple of thousand to fix where as on a Kawasaki it was a couple of hundred. The deputies I spoke to also prefer the Kawasaki's handling over the BMW. Changing a clutch on a Kawasaki took abour 30 minutes...On a Beemer it is a good 8 hour job if you are fast, The whole rear half of the bike has to come loose as it is a dry clutch which the officers seemed to fry all the time with all the low speed in traffic type work that they do. If it were my decision I'd stick with Honda on this one. The only way BMW is getting these departments to use their bikes is that they offer a very attractive "buy back" program after 60,000 miles. If Honda offered such a program, you would not see ANY BMW police bikes over here as BMW's are overrated and overpriced.
PVJIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
TomSmith
Founding Member

Years ago, the Tijuana Mexico cops rode new Harley police bikes. They bought them on their $140/month salaries - so they said. Three or four years ago, the FBI canvassed Tijuana cars. About 25% were stolen from the US. The TJ police chief had a new SUV in his parking space that had been stolen in the previous week from the US. He told the FBI "so what?".
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #13
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I wouldn't look for a massive change from HD to metrics of any brand in law enforcement. You can bet HD will give those agencies even better pricing to keep the image, even if they have to practically give them away.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
demanufacture
Founding Member

Harley cop bikes are hideous and slow anyway. I don't see why they're used... oh, and those 3/4 helmets look retarded too! Put a full-face on, you goofs.
demanufacture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Gen X and Y officers will just say no to Harley

That's true, KP and the two motor-officers I know personaly as neighbors get off their work bike BMW's and ride home on their personal bikes, Harleys. My immediate neighbor is a King Co. Detective who builds hot rods out of Japanese cars with his sons, their current project is a 5.0L Mustang that sounds like a funny car. Through a fluke of houseing prices and income levels I think half the people in my sub-division are LEO's of one type or another. The ones that ride for fun ride Harleys.

Seattle Police have Harleys, Tacoma police have Harleys, WSP has a mix including Harleys and Renton PD is pretty unhappy with their BMW's and will be switching over to HD as soon as Harley has an ABS option. With the breaks that Harley and the local dealerships give them Harleys are way cheaper in the long run.

( I suppose I should add an insult here to counter your standard GPTB brainwashing response.......Ummm...)

Your mother wears army boots...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

A basic outline of what Seattle PD gets is, buy the bike. Free upgrade to 95 in. free routine maintainance. guarenteed buy-back with minimal charge for milage. Rinse, Repeat.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #17
tpoppa
Founding Member

Looks like the officer is providing his own spare tire.
tpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #18
davetelling
Founding Member

Here in Nevada, the NHP has some of the BMW's, but there are still quite a few Harleys in the cities. I like the looks of the Beemers, and they are faster, with better brakes. OTOH, the Harleys might be more comfortable after a number of hours in the saddle. It would be good to hear from officers who have made the transition (from Harley to BMW/Honda/Kawasaki) and see what they have to say. Maybe an article idea?
davetelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #19
anrajala
Founding Member

If I was a highway cop I would get FJR. Any other duties I would get a H-D.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #20
navair
Registered Member

Here in Coronado, SoCal, the local ticket monkeys have a couple of ST1300's- this for a town with a 25 mph speed limit and average age of 65....
navair is offline   Reply With Quote