Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #31
josiandjames
Registered Member

Default Re: A Sign of Things to Come?

I don't know, but I live in B.C., where liability is province controlled (it's called ICBC). It would cost me $1300/year to insure ANY bike, including a scooter, over 400 c.c.. Come on! I am 62, have been riding for 43 years and have a clean driving record. It seems that the entire insurance industry in Canada is a con to make big profits. Also, there's the fact that Quebec has a bunch of restrictive laws, so when they separate from Canada, they can have their "own" laws. For example, if you live in Quebec, you can't be part of any Canada-wide contest, etc.. So, in sum, the whole insurance scam needs to be overhauled. BTW, here, on Vancouver Island, it's the Hog boys that "drive up rates", not sport bikes.
josiandjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #32
ivan_spartan
Founding Member

B.S.!!!!!!!!

The insurance industry is worried about thier PROFIT MARGIN. Sounds like these insurers aren't making the % of profit they believe they are entitled.

F'em!

And this comes from a Victory rider (over 30, no tickets) who had to pass on a FZ-1 because I wasn't about to pay the "ransom" the insurance industry is calling market premiums.
ivan_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #33
peter_anon
Registered Member

Default Eh?

I thought Canada was supposed to be Heaven on Earth.

Sounds like crap happens there, too.

peter_anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #34
pplassm
Founding Member

BULLSH!T! I have been paying insurance for over 30 years, ride sportbikes and you've been making money off the likes of me for the entire time. I have never had a claim, and I suspect I am not the only one.

IMNSHO, mandatory insurance is a racket to make licenses to print money. You guys are the only industry with a government guaranteed profit.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #35
pplassm
Founding Member

Why are there "Sides of the business"? I thought the whole idea of insurance was to spread risk.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #36
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Eh?

No Sh*t. Where's Ksquid?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Is it still legal to have a **** in Canada?

They can have my Penis when they pry it from my Cold, Dead, Hand........

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #38
bigjames
Premium Member

HEY, FOLKS! It's Quebec! That doesn't even count in Canada, eh! Anyhow, they pretty much hate all bikes in Quebec (even more so if you are American or Canadian). To many cerified stories of crappy treatment and know several Canadians that head to the US, to get to Nova Scotia instead of going through Quebec. And before anyone gets uppity with me for slamming Quebec, I am half French-Canadian! I have a God given right to hate my ancestry! Family had the sense to leave...d@mn, I could have been a Cajun if they had left earlier...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #39
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Default BC insurance not quite that bad...

Admittedly I have not had a bike insured for 4 years in BC, but my FZR750 was about $50 a month. <400cc was about $25/mo. Have rates gone up that much? PS see my news article "It's for your own good..." regarding graduated licencing. Started quite a flame war a couple of years ago.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #40
GordKS
Founding Member

The insurance industry should not be using the size of the engine to determine the cost of insurance. They really should be using horsepower. I have a 750 cc bike that makes about 48 HP. It will do just about 105 mph. It is a mild touring bike. There are 600 cc machines producing well over twice the horsepower that are capable of about 140 mph. Why should I pay more for insurance? There are other 750's that produce enouph power to do 160 mph. Why should I pay as much as they do?

Also, the term 'Sportbike' is a totally meaningless term. What is a 'Sportbike'? How do you define one? Mine is extremely sporty on winding roads, but it won't do wheelies at the twist of the throttle and it won't do 160 mph. It is not a 'cruiser' either. So what, exactly is a sportbike?

For comparison, I pay about $500 CDN for a full year of collision/comprehensive ($1000 deductible, $10500 CDN declared value) and about $550 CDN for nine months ICBC basic (2,000,000 liability). I have the maximum discount and am 63.
GordKS is offline   Reply With Quote