Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #41
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re: Felons and rights.

The irony of all of your statement re: 1% is that there are now so many laws on the books that the true one percenter is the guy who breaks NO laws....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #42
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Aerodynamic, but Not Academic

Yeah, great idea. Then he can spend the rest of his orry life making the rest of us look like ass wipes, handily making him one of those riders that helps get riding and riders such grief from the non-riding public.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #43
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I was about was commenting satirically on the obvious bias of the story. I thus make two points. First, that satire is defined as a humorous or tongue-in-cheek ridicule for the purpose of modifying behavior or enlightening the reader. Satire proceeds from a moral basis, as distinct from parody, which is simply making-fun-of. The satire, in this case, was meant to point out the articles' thrice mention of the brand of the rider, and it's blatant attempt to excuse the behavior of the van driver, due to his "personal problems," which were mentioned another two or three times, and then, as an afterthought, the briefest mention of the guy's violent rap sheet. All of which is an abrogation of the principle of journalistic neutrality, which is ripe for lampooning...hence, the satire.

Now the second point is that the discernement of satire requires a certain erudition, a subtlety of insight and a kind of suppleness of mind. Those lacking such typically try to burn the satirical work and frequently the satirist himself. They spew hateful invective and irrational epithets. Occasionally, such people try to take over the government, whereuopn they have all the intellectuals exiled or shot, rule by ego-driven fiat for a bit of time, and are eventualy deposed when the gaping chasm in their logical process inevitably leads to economic, social, and ethical collapse. People like Ho Chi Minh, Robert Mugabe, and hey, now that I think about the stunning mental acuity and linguistic clarity of your well-thought-out retort...you.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #44
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Come on. If you think I'm not funny, that's ok. Say so. But spare us your contrived sentimentality. I'd wager you yourself stand at least several hundred miles from his grave, or from anything else of substance to him. Did you know him? Will you lose sleep over him tonight?

Fellow rider? I've been a member of this site for too long to still believe in the illusion of the Universal Brotherhood of all riders everywhere, all the time. Would you beat your breast in heartfelt loss if someone you didn't like died, just because he was a "fellow biker?" What if the story read that, for example, KPaul had been ass-packed by a minivan, and died? Would you be so respectful then, or so seeking to enforce the somber mood upon the whole site?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #45
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

And by the way, no one expects a pedestrian to be able to outrun a minivan. People can and do have a resonable expectation that a streetbike should be able to so do. So I do call the man's riding skill, or apparent lack of it, into the question.

No one had a problem making comments (some of them rather more viscious than the simple satire I posted above) about rider skill when that story about the dead 16-year-old stunter got posted. It is therefore unlikely that you are angry at me for violating the respect for the dead. So what gives?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #46
davidhaner
Founding Member

The rest of his life would be short though.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #47
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: I see your smiley.

People should also remember that illegal immigrants tend to eventually become actual citizens in time, too. This is why some rights of citizenship are extended to them while they are here illegally.

Jose Gutierrez is a perfect example. He was an illegal alien that finished High School in the US while he was an 'illegal', used that education to gain his green card, joined the military because he couldn't find a job and ... became the first soldier killed in Iraq.

The same selfish people that wanted to deny people like this citizenship should be thanking him for laying his life on the line for a country that didn't much want him in the first place.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #48
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Ever been to a wake? There are jokes about the personal habits of the deceased all the time at those things. Humor is a great stress reliever and is a viable coping method for people in the midst of great sadness. Some people even burst into laughter at funerals because the physiological response when crying is almost identical to when laughing.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #49
caffine
Registered Member

Well said. And I agree once again.
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #50
caffine
Registered Member

"Taxi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote