Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-19-2001, 06:53 AM   #1
jrpetruzzi
Founding Member

Default Re: More E-H Bad News

Do we really need another $19,000 cruiser? I thought Harley had that end of

the market! Way too much money! Who bank rolled these guys?
jrpetruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2001, 07:25 AM   #2
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I think they need to finish going bankrupt already. How many times have we heard that they're going to tank? By now it's inevitable. Anyone who still gives money to this company is crazy.

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 07:28 AM   #3
Team_FAST
Founding Member

$19,000? There are people willing to pay a lot more than that for these type of motorcyles. Have you priced an American Ironhorse, or an Indian recently? The prices of these bikes makes my Ducati look like a veritable bargain!

Team_FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:25 AM   #4
FLSTF
Founding Member

I think that any American motorcycle manufacturer would be good for competition. I understnad that the Hanlons were misguided, but I know my TC88B FatBoy is as good as it is because of all the competition Harley has been facing...foreign and domestic. I wish the Hanlons could have had a better head for business.
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 10:53 AM   #5
stevegrab
Founding Member

Hmm, what happened to that huge thread of comments started with the "European" slamming Americans?

Did MO delete this? I guess this wasn't quality feedback, even though the posters weren't anonymous squids.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:03 AM   #6
stevegrab
Founding Member

Sorry my mistake, must have been one of those afternoons, that posting was on the story titled "One Man's Support of E-H".

A thousand apologies. I will hold back my next 10 flames on MO as punishment.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 01:45 PM   #7
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default Market Barometer?

This is a little off topic, but not much if you think about the state of expensive cruisers in America. Has anyone noticed more and more Harley Davidsons on the showroom floors at their local dealers? I visit several area Harley dealers regularly just to look and I have noticed inventories slowly building up over the past year, especially this winter and spring so far. Are the economic worries affecting cruiser sales? I think so. Titan and EH failing appear to be the first victims of the slowdown. Will Harley Davidson soon be offering dealer incentives like most other bike manufacturers in order to speed up inventory movement? It will be interesting to see over the next few months. Just my $0.02.
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 01:36 AM   #8
FLSTF
Founding Member

Default Re: Market Barometer?

I think you are probably seeing a true reflection of market forces at work. All of our local H-D shops are still sold out and have a backlog, so we haven't seen this as yet. All of our local shops sell at MSRP as well so the incentive to buy is stronger. I love my Harley, so it would be great to see various models on the showroom floor to choose from and some price incentives.
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 04:10 AM   #9
AcesN8s
Founding Member

Default Re: Market Barometer?

Motorpsyche,

The bikes youÂ’ve seen on the sales floor are they new models or used? The local dealerships in Eastern PA only have used bikes on the floor, which are priced even higher than you could get new one for. The company is in great shape.

HD is still breaking sales records. Their advertising is top notch, when was the last time you saw someone with a McDonalds tattoo? For years people have been saying that HDÂ’s lock on the Cruiser market will end. Yet every year more and more models are sold, and often at prices way over MSRP (which is the dealers doing).

Until the U.S. consumers wake up from the HD dream nothing will change.

AcesN8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 04:52 AM   #10
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default It might happen but it not yet...

IF youv'e seen many new bikes on the floor lately IAL that's because lately it's been the middle of the nastiest winter in years for much of the country. That in itself causes some people economic worries and certainly dampens their enthusiasm about buying a motorcycle. It no doubt has allowed some people to pick up Harleys that are a (relatively speaking!) bargain in situations where a dealer or individual was badly needing to generate some cash flow. But all indications are that this spring there will be the usual shortage though maybe not quite as bad since Harley has declared its intent to get production up to a level where nobody will have to wait "more than a year" and some models e.g. Sportsters can already be had at or near MSRP with only a few months wait at most.

Now, if we were to get into a truly lugubrious recession which we're not in yet by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure all motorcycle sales including Harleys would be affected and yes you would see the kind of deals Harley hasn't had to do since the early 80's.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote