Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History.

Reason #1 on my list that will keep me from that event...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
goodtime
Founding Member

This will sound cold, but that many bikes, plus an abundance of alcohol, someone is gonna die. I don't know any of the accident details, but I'll bet there were a few "Ya'll watch this" spoken. Rest in peace brothers.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
xman5
Founding Member

I wonder if this is the synergy of good weather and the repealed helmet law in Florida? What a shame...
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
ofreen
Registered Member

That's too bad and I wish people would be more careful. It is also too bad, because some people are going to feel compelled to draw conclusions from this and then 'take action.'
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
ccmun
Founding Member

I saw one of the dead bikers on Sat. After the 200 on Sat. I was heading South unto I-95. This harley rider died on the on-ramp to I-95 just a couple of miles from the Speedway. It appears he lost control of his bike and slammed into the guard rail. His body was still on the side of the road. They did have him covered with a sheet, and I dont know the details, but you really cant go more than 20-30 mph on that ramp, and I did not see evidence of another vehicle involved, so its a mystery to me how he died.
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Fenton
Founding Member

First, any death is a terrible loss to family and friends. RIP

Second, I'm missing the "sunny skies and good weather" at the cause/increase.

That's like blaming skiing accidents on the snow. I'm sure skill, alcohol, weed, helmet laws, bravado, stupidity and bad luck may have contributed to a number of the fatalities.

Again, there is no disrespect for the fallen, just the report.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
dmorga1
Founding Member

Um. . .problem with your logic there. While I don't dispute that alcohol, stupidity, and so forth play a large role in these tragedies, citing the nice weather as a contributory cause is hardly like "blaming skiing accidents on the snow." One needs snow to ski. One does not need sunny skies and good weather to have bike week. Think about it. Nice weather brings more people, more people will ride, and there will be a higher frequency of accidents. Good weather doesn't contribute to the accidents themselves; it contributes to the higher [i]rate[i].
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

Default No logic problem.

Agreed and understood. The article clearly stated "blamed" not contributed.

BTW, unless you have the total # of bikes in attendence you can't tell me the rate is higher than in 2000.

My reaction was to the "FHP blaming sunny skies......" That is BS back page crap reporting that does nothing to inform a reader.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
djb3980
Founding Member

The only reason this is getting any more press than usual, other than the number of deaths, is that it involves motorcylces. If something like this happened at some sort of autos only gathering it would be chalked up to human error and be a back page story. But in this case all it will do is bring about more of the usual motorcycle strereotypes about all of us riders acting like hooligans and menaces on the road, it just sucks!

Unrelated: Did anybody notice that they spelled the word 'sunny' wrong? They spelled it 's-u-n-n-i-e'... last I checked the weather channel still spelled it with a 'y'

DJ
djb3980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
chicswank
Registered Member

It's the helmet law, or lack thereof, stupids. These freedom-loving Harley freaks—as well as all those flip-flop and short pants wearing helmetless hooligans—are gonna ruin it for all of us. I consider my helmet a part of the bike. You know, like how most cars come with a roof? Remember Corvairs? If the Ralph Naders of the world ever get ahold of street bikes, it's curtains, lads and lasses. Get a clue: keep your lid on. Freedom's just another word for a busted freakin' skull.
chicswank is offline   Reply With Quote