Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #51
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: I WAS THERE AND SURVIVED, here are my observations:

You can stay home and get drunk or stoned if that is your main goal. You may have a hangover but at least you will be alive, probably

I agree that one does need to learn how to ride. I have the attitude that I can learn something from EVERY ride. I stopped trying to be cool when I hit 35 - about 20 years ago. I'm still riding and having lots of fun. Am I cool? I don't care. Does it matter? Nope.

Subjecting yourself to a mix of drugged and drunk riders, unconscious cage drivers and not wearing protective gear - Not real smart in my opinion. I try to minimize my risk, not increase it. I went to Laguna for MotoGP and I don't think there were any fatalities (and there were thousands of sportbikes, but virtually no HD's), maybe because the CHP was doing traffic enforcement big time. (Love 'em or hate 'em, it's their job.) Lots of leathers, track boots and cool full coverage helmets on just about every rider. Oh and it was "sunnie" there, too.

Strange, it seemed that just about everyone went to the track to watch the races not just party and be seen. There was a fair amount of alcohol consumed and considerable pungent smoke in the air as well. Maybe that's the difference between motorcycle race fans and Bike week attendees, one is a motorcyclist and the others are tourists who occasionally ride.

As long as the AMA supports helmet repeal in the face of evidence of how effective helmets are in reducing injuries and deaths, I will never belong. That's it for me.

I rode 26,000 miles last year in Oregon in all types of weather, including my 118 miles a day commute. Only time I fell off was at a riding school at a track. (And it was my fault)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #52
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: No logic problem.

Reminds me of the old saying, "It wasn't the fall that killed him it was that sudden stop at the bottom."
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #53
bigjames
Premium Member

160 mile daily commute, one crash in 30+ years of riding, caused by an idiot in a car.

The sport bike folks were equally distributed in the deaths as they were in the "population". So no surprise that most of the fatilities were Harley riders as most of the folks in Daytona were Harley riders. The sport bike folks were just as likely to not wear a hemet as the HD folks. IMHO, that is stupid (my rig is HD powered of you are curious). As far as the races, I got to the track but I'll be damned if I was going to pay $50 for access to the infield to get ripped off for the rest of the day, went and watched it on TV. Also, Laguna Seca is a race, and just a race. Daytona is a rally, that makes a very big difference in the make up of the crowd. Daytona is supposed to be a party, good or bad, that is what it is. But you missed the point in finger pointing at the Harley crowd, the problem is ***** poor riding and driving, period. Has nothing to do with brand, but experience. I agree, if you want to get a buzz, then ride, you are going to get hurt, no matter what one rides. Wonder if they sell beer at the rest of the AMA races. BTW, the AMA supports helmets, just not the laws. Personally, I feel the same way, just disappointed that folks don't realize that riding a block to the store without a helmet is a helluva a lot different than riding in a congested unfamiliar area full of idiots. Saying that, may be our uncool asses will meet on the road and we can go riding....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #54
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Sounds to me......

well, that is where the largest swap meet was...the one at the fairgrounds (near the ABATE campground) was horribly lame...
Old 03-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #55
bigjames
Premium Member

BTW the censored word was pi$$.

Come one MO, lose the freaking censorship, this is getting as stupid as the drivers in Florida...
Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #56
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History.

I hope that you get wire tapped. It's for your own good. I know that to be true because George Stalin told me so.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #57
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

My trailer broke down, I had to ride there. Many seem concerned but to me it's great to ride at Daytona Bike Week. I didn't have any "Moments" and my fellow riders all seemed friendly and courteous. My guess is that most of these deaths were "self inflicted", nobodys making them ride over their skill level.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #58
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I'll wager that everyone of them was burning petrol.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #59
orcyclist
Founding Member

Keep the rubber side down. I try to ride like my life depends on it.

I am just contrasting what I saw at Laguna with what I hear about Daytona. I absolutely agree that there are a whole bunch of squids on sportbikes. Stupidity is not limited to any brand or style of machine. I freely admit that there are lots of excellent HD riders. All good riders I have met seem to have the same thoughtful and serious attitude about riding.

Points well taken in the difference in Daytona and Laguna infocus of the events.

I have trained myself that I feel "nekkid" without all of my gear on (well at least when I am on the bike) The Hurt report shows that he most dangerous territory is near home.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #60
naco_traficante
Registered Member

But all snow and/or trash at the event would be quickly collected and dumped at an illegal land-fill somewhere in Indiana.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote