Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #41
starry
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History.

I live just down the road in Titusville FL and I can tell you that as a regular rider, I'm scared silly for all the weekend warriors who trailer down thier 25,000 dollar chrome plated bikes down and ride them for one or two weeks with very little expierence and alcohol to boot. THen they laod it back up go home plish the chrome and put it away until next year. In the long run I just hope that is Darwinism at work and nobody will pass any laws.
starry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #42
vulcancharlie
Founding Member

A group I used to ride with would get together when one of us had an accident, or "near miss". We would look at the incident from all angles, and try to learn from the expierence. We decided there were no "accidents", just "collisions". Mechanical, human error, or "acts of God", are always to blame. It would be interesting to know all the facts of these deaths, so we could all learn from them. I'll turn 70 this June. I've been riding since 1953. I have never been in a hospital yet(from riding a two wheeler). Yes, I have had "close calls", and "dumped" it several times. I "downsized" to a Suzuki C50T(805CC) last year, and still ride whenever I get the chance.
vulcancharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #43
bobsturm
Registered Member

Come on, if 18 people got killed in 9 days at an auto show or any show, we would see it in the news. To think this is against motorcycle people is crazy. If you party and ride, which Bike Weeks is a huge party, do it at you own risk.
bobsturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #44
bigjames
Premium Member

Default I WAS THERE AND SURVIVED, here are my observations:

First, I rode my sidecar rig down. It's big, multi colored and damned near impossible to miss, but they did. After going out one night, stayed put or walked at night as people are stupid and I didn't want my rig or myself injured. Here are my observations:

1) Learn to ride, then go to Daytona. Might want to leave the trailer somewhere north of Florida and ride the rest of the way as a refresher. This was the number one problem I saw. Way to many "wobblies" riding around Daytona. and don't even get me started on the bikes with training wheels (not 3 wheelers or side cars, but training wheels with fenders. If you need these, time to quit riding a 2 wheeler IMHO).

2) Some people in cars in the area are insane or just too stupid or not in full control or aware of their surroundings to drive. Even the police stated very clearly that most of the car-bike accidents were the car drivers fault. Age did not really come into play on this one as far as I could see.

3) Impatience gets you dead. Several accidents were head ons - bike to bike because some idiot got impatient and passed when they shouldn't and the other rider either did not or could not avoid the said idiot. If one had a helmet and the other did not, the helmetless one went to the morgue, the helmeted got to go to Halifax.

4) Cops job is impossible. If they were allowed to focus on traffic enforcement and not worry about what skin someone was showing or how loud a bike is or how high a handle bar was, there would have been fewer folks killed or injured. Not their fault, they have to do what they are told to do to keep the residents happy. Matter of fact, one of them up in Deland got killed on a bike.

5) Spreading out the events might be good for the community but lousy for the "rally" aspect of bike week. Instead of Daytona Beach being the focus, events were all over the map. Made it hard to find things, getting more folks out on the road causing more opportunties for the idiots to shine.

6) and finally, yes, they do report on better than average deaths with great glee! Several years ago the death toll was 1. He was in a sidecar that flipped and he did not have a helmet on. I met the victim a few weeks before bike week at a BMW rally. Advised him (being a sidecarist myself) that he really did have to wear a helmet (Florida had a lid law back then). He blew me off and went home in a box...as the only fatality that year.

How to fix this? How about a helmet law (I can't believe I just typed that) if for no other time than the 1st full week of March. Way to many people trying to be cool (and we all know if you have to try, you ain't) that didn't have the chops to even ride some of the bikes they were on (that goes for choppers and sport bikes). So wear a helmet and don't try to be so damned cool and we will see more folks able to go to bike week the next year.

That's my 2 cents worth any way. Did 1800 miles on a ancient rig with little or no drama. Didn't look cool even once...

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #45
bigjames
Premium Member

Sorry, to disagree, but there were as many Harley riders wearing helmets as not and a lot of sport bike riders without lids - more than with a lid. Helmetless no longer means Harley rider! BTW, Corvair's problem was fixed years before Ralphie started *****ing and the Renault, VW and Porsches of the day had the exact same problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #46
bigjames
Premium Member

see my post below, yes it did...
Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #47
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..or a Tohatsu Run Pet 50...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #48
orcyclist
Founding Member

Nice touch!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Sounds to me......

like there might be too many farmer's markets in the immediate vicinity.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #50
orcyclist
Founding Member

Welcome to Oregon.

Here in the great PNW, you rarely have to worry about being killed by good weather. Hypothermia and hyroplaning - now that's another story entirely.

You learn a real lot real fast about traction and throttle control in the wet and how to relax in those conditions. It's hilarious to see fair weather riders when they get caught in the rain. Talk about tip-toeing around.

In Oregon you either ride in the rain or you don't ride. There's a reason that Gore-tex was invented in the Pacific Northwest.

18 deaths during bike week. How many deaths in a typical Daytona week? Maybe it is Darwinism at work. Does FHP mean to say that the fatalities go up or down when it is "sunnie?"

Ain't no way I'm EVER going to Bike week on my motorcyle. I will stick to safer things like ride 1000 miles in a day or track days or enduro races. It all comes down to folks not being serious about riding.