Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3384)

ofreen 03-12-2006 03:08 PM

Re: Bike Week Deaths Worst In Event's History.

Yeah, like helmet laws are going to keep the 'do-gooders' off our backs. They will go after motorcycles when they decide it is good politics, and it will get their names in the funny papers. Wearing helmets does not make riding motorcycles safe. It is still hazardous compared to knitting, bird watching or watching reality TV shows, therefore unacceptable to those do-gooders you are worried about.

longride 03-12-2006 03:56 PM

Anybody think the safest Daytona ever made headlines??

rsk173 03-12-2006 04:19 PM

just like to say

glad to not be reading the calus posts that were on here last time a biker died.

Gluge 03-12-2006 04:29 PM

I thought bad weather caused accidents... now good weather does too?? I'm confused.

schizuki 03-12-2006 04:30 PM

Re: just like to say

If there were details as to anyone killing themselves while doing something with reckless disregard for the safety and property of others, you would.

pudlepirate 03-12-2006 04:30 PM

18 deaths for "tens of thousands of atendees" as bad as this may seem, I'll bet it is only marginaly higher than the regular fatal motorcycle accident rate. add in a smidge of the usual crap involved with a week long party, booze, drugs, and showing off, plus the exponential increase in motorcycle trafic, and I could not be less suprised.

brax4444 03-12-2006 04:36 PM

I just got home from Bike Week and I couldn't agree more. Combine alcohol, no helmets, and a few hundred thousand motorcycles and they average about 10 deaths a year during the week? That's pretty good.

rmdower 03-12-2006 04:54 PM

"The FHP is blaming sunnie skies and good weather for the increase in deaths."

It's a good thing I moved from sunny SoCal to Portland, OR before the warm, blue skies killed me.

obandoj 03-12-2006 05:10 PM

No skills, no helmets, no brains, too much booze, too much bravado, been there, seen it all...

FrankS1 03-12-2006 05:20 PM

Re: Bike Week Deaths and weather.

When I went to Daytona in 2001, there was rain and cold, or at least so it seemed to the crowd there. Of course, after getting down to Houston, TX from Colorado and heading east on I-10 it all seemed pretty balmy.

The bad part was that the nekkid ladies seemed to prefer blouses and slacks, not bikinis under the leather chaps. I guess it was good for survival, but not so good for a spectator like me. Oh well, I guess that bluish skin and goose bumps wouldn't have been all that nice to look at..

I have to wonder what the accident count was; I saw a couple headlines reporting individual deaths, but no report of total count.