Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #21
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Think Things Are Bad Now?

As a 60 yr old, I don't quite know how to feel about this, and hope I will have the sense to give up driving when the time comes. My Mom and Dad did, and I suspect most of us will too.

In the meantime, I take some comfort in Paul Newman winning Le Mans when he was 69. The other drivers did complain about him having his left turn indicator on the whole time, though
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
teknoman
Registered Member

Look,I,m 55 and people my age and older scare me.We got old folks in hoverarounds[those electric wheelchair/scooters]in the streets!I got it bad both ways,I have the young 4 wheeled squids and fast and furious wannabees,the well heeled soccer moms,and dads driving the latest biggest most exspensive pos you want to see who live in the burbs of vegas,and on top of that,we get thousands of yahoos in here day in and day out,renting cars,drinking,drugging and not realizing that our lights ARE ACROSS THE STREET,NOT ON THE SAME SIDE!and yes,you can turn right on red.It,s gotten so bad that I say my prayers and try to leave town via the back way on weekends.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
Z1chopper
Founding Member

God I love it when there is one clear minded person out there that hits the nail on the head. Good humor is the only way to get through life.

Steve
Z1chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
gear_head
Registered Member

Funny, I really agree with a lot of the comments here. Rather then re-hash, I'll just add the following tidbits:

In 1994, I had my one and only big crash and the lady who pulled out in front of me was 79 (she pulled out from a side street with a stop sign so last minute that it almost looked blatant), and

I haven't been afraid at all latley of the elderly. What has gotten my attention since moving to Charlotte, North Carolina about 6 weeks ago has been the incessant tailgaiting, erratic lane changes, disuse of turn-signals and the incessant phone cell usage. Frankly, it has got me scared for the first time in a long while and did I mention I lived and rode in New York City for the last seven years and rode in the NY metro area for the last 12? Explain that one.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Driving home on the expressway one night, in the lane next to the fast lane. See some headlights coming the other way that looked weird somehow. By the time I realized he wasn't on the other side of the median, he blew past me in (my) fast lane.

Got home and removed the seat upholstery from my a$$ with PB Blaster and a bent coathanger.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #26
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default careful there...

Actually, it *is* a right considered by the high court to be an inextricable portion of the regular and ordinary enjoyment of life and liberty (liberty including the ordinary right to remove from one place to another, freely between and amoung the several states). To wit:

Now I know this is a bit lengthy, but it's not hard...take a look at what the high court has to say about it. I love the fact that in 1909 they employed the phrase "...According to the conveyance of the day."

6.1 The use of the roadways for the purpose of travel and transportation is NOT a mere PRIVILEGE, but a "COMMON AND FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT" of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived. (Emphasis added) See: Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, supra; See: Ligare v. Chicago, 28 N.E. 934; See: Boone v. Clark, 214 S. W. 607;

See: American Jurisprudence 1st Ed., Highways 163 6.2 A Citizen 's "RIGHT" to travel upon public highways includes the right to use usual conveyances of time, including horse-drawn carriage, or automobile, for ordinary purposes of life and business. See: Thompson v. Smith (Chief of Police), 154 S. E. 579, 580

6.3 The "RIGHT" of the Citizen to travel upon the public roadways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a "COMMON RIGHT" which he has under the "RIGHT" to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. See: Thompson v. Smith, supra.

7. It could not be stated more conclusively that Citizens of the States have a "RIGHT" to travel, without approval or restriction, (license), and that this "RIGHT" is protected under the U.S. Constitution. After all, who do the roadways belong to anyway? The People-At-Large. The following are additional court decisions that expound the same facts:

7.1 . The streets and roadways belong to the public, for the use of the public in the ordinary and customary manner. See: Hadfield v. Lundin, 98 Wn. 657; 168 P. 516;

7.2 All those who travel upon, and transport their property upon, the public highways, using the ordinary conveyance of today, and doing so in the usual and ordinary course of life and business. See: Hadfield, supra; See: State v. City of Spokane, 109 Wn. 360; 186 P. 864.

7.3 The "RIGHT" of the Citizen to travel upon the highways and to transport his property thereon, in the ordinary course of life and business, obviously differs radically from that of one who makes the highways his principal place of business and uses it for private gain ... See: State v. City of Spokane, supra.

7.4 . While a Citizen has the "RIGHT" to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that "RIGHT" does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place of business for private gain. For the latter purposes no person has a vested right to use the highways of the state, but is a MERE PRIVILEGE or license which the legislature may grant or withhold at its discretion .... See: Hadfield, supra; State v. Johnson, 243 P. 1073; See: Cummins v. Jones, 155 P. 171; See: Packard v. Banton, 44 S.Ct. 257, 264 U.S. 140 and other cases too numerous to mention.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: careful there...

Finally, someone that stopped cold the 'driving is a privilege and not a right' bullshyt. That statement makes me almost as sick as 'we need to outlaw (blank) even if it just saves one life'.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #28
ER1B
Founding Member

My sympathies are with you, Brother! I am a refugee of Raleigh, NC and know of what you speak. Raleigh (RTP), Charlotte, etc., all suffer from hugh population growth that has brought people from all over the world to these areas. Unfortunately, these people have brought all their bad driving habits with them. Eractic and beligerant is the common theme. I have lived and driven in Houston, Chicago, and LA, and there is a method to the madness in those cities. No such luck in NC.
ER1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #29
Mike_Hammer
Founding Member

Many things could be improved in the US driving legislation. Here's my list, in rough order:

- Truly punish people who cause accidents by taking away their license and impounding their car every time they cause one! Punishment gets attention, it only has to be fair.

- Mandatory reflex testings for all drivers every 10 years. It's quick, easy and would catch most big problems before they developed. If you can't drive at 90 you probably couldn't drive at 80 either...

- Make people pay for the damage they cause. A 5 year prison sentence for killing someone by driving drunk isn't enough if you let them out after 30 days.

- The points system is a good start, but if police aren't required to issue a mandatory ticket every time you break the law they don't. My wife's can was hit last week by an old lady who the police knew by name and is a real risk, but her husband is rich and so they keep letting her go to mess up other people's lives.

- Step licensing like Europe has for motorcycles AND for cars! Really folks, no one under 20 should be driving 400 hp cars on the street. I know this probably isn't popular in this crowd, but there are plenty of 200 hp cars out there that can more than double the SPEED LIMIT (note the second word there).

The streets are for public transportation. The track is for speed testing. Yes, I have spent more than my fair share of time well over the speed limit, but I also spent 10 years roadracing so I am on "our" side. I also got hit by a car and seriously almost killed when I was 18, a car turned left in front of me into my lane, so I've been on both sides. Better alive than not.

I want to live fast, die old and I don't care what I look like at that point!
Mike_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #30
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I agree completely with this list, and I'd like to add a couple of additional items (which have a similar chance of actually happening):

- Pass a "weather" law that requires the riding conditions to be perfect on every weekend, everywhere, all year long.

- Stop giving tickets to motorcycle riders. After all, we're doing our bit to help the environment and reduce global warming by spending less time in cars.

- Subsidize gas prices for bikes - we don't wear out the roads as much, so we shouldn't have to contribute to highway repairs that are paid for by gas taxes.

- Allow every biker the right to identify one bonehead driver per week who's done something to risk that biker's life by doing something stupid or inattentive (cell phone usage, etc.). That driver will be flogged on network TV; repeat offenders will be hung.

This is just a start, but I'm sure readers of this forum will agree that these suggestions will lead to a better world. I was going to include world peace and an end to global warming, but I wanted to keep my choices realistic.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote