Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-11-2006, 05:01 AM   #11
clively
Founding Member

Default Re: Think Things Are Bad Now?

People driving impaired is the problem. Whether it is old age, drunk, cell phone, or stupidity induced. There has been three fatalities (in car crashes) where I live and two guys in comas, from motorcycle wrecks, in ICU already this year. On the motorcycles one guy was an experienced rider, who chose not to wear a helmet, when a truck turned in front of him and he hit the side of the truck with his head. The other guy had his bike two days, no insurance, no helmet, and he drove across a slightly raised median which caused him to overreact and flip the bike causing him to land on his head. I am not pushing for helmet laws just showing that bad things happen due to your own or other's poor judgement. I think the Drivers ED taught in schools is a joke. The MSF classes are ok but not where they could be. The govm't needs to pull it's head out of it's tail and reform driver's training. They spend millions in ludicrous road signs, step grants (programs paying officers OT to write tickets), and other crap programs which are reactionary in nature to the problems. Since it is only a bandaid to the gushing wound to the problem it needs to be reformed. I am not wanting bigger govt to keep me safe just make better use of my tax $$ for better training for all drivers. Or it can continue to put out crap programs and when I retire I can develop my own training school, which people do want for cars and bikes, and make $$ myself in true capatilist form.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #12
iamz
Founding Member

Saw a study a while back indicating that confused (elderly) or drunk people who enter the wrong side of divided highways will stay in what they think is the slow (right) lane. This happens to be the passing lane for everyone else and the stats were shown (something like 90%) that most head-on collisions with drivers on the wrong side of the median occur in that lane.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

Just wait until the baby boomers start hitting 70. They'll be an unstoppable voting block, so forget about any legislation to get them meaningfully re-tested and off the road. They're far too narcissistic to be swayed by arguments about causing a hazard to others, and their perpetual childishness means they won't admit they're old and limited. It's going to be a bloodbath on the nation's sidewalks.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #14
ofreen
Registered Member

Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkinÂ’ Â’bout my generation)

Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (talkinÂ’ Â’bout my generation)
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
johnmiller
Registered Member

Default Cause or are involved?

Where could you possibly find a statistic on the age bracket of "caused" accidents? Older drivers may not be "involved" in a large percentage of accidents, but my belief is that they cause a high percentage and continue to drive on blissfully unaware.
johnmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

He said it's snowing and he left the oven on....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

I never trusted them people anyway
Old 03-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

Why can't you just s-s-stay away (talkin' bout my generation)

Don't try'n dig what we all say (talkin' bout my generation)
Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
Weezel
Registered Member

As I enter my 9th decade of life, it occurs to me that civility has ended. The rampant ageism that has manifested itelf on these web pages causes me great emotional distress. Fortunately, I won't remember much of this discourse by the end of the day (if not by the end of this response). And that is the secret of the happiness of the elderly. It is not that we don't care - we simply don't remember. I have vague recollections of running into the front window of Murphy's Cafe a year or two ago and I believe they took away my license, but I really am not quite sure what the final outcome was. Nobody has stopped me from driving or riding, so I guess it all ended up for the best.

To you youngsters out there who continue to blame the old folks for their mental impairment, simply think of us as in a perpetual state that you are briefly in, every Saturday night and Sunday morning. At least we don't choose to be unaware of ourselves and surroundings on a voluntary basis.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #20
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Lots of interesting stories and proposed solutions - I've even had a couple of experiences myself with drivers passing me in the wrong direction (the first guy was killed in a head-on a quarter mile down the road, I never did find out what happened to the old lady doing around 70 on the wrong side of the I-70 concrete divider just west of Denver). The first incident was a useful reminder that I shouldn't rely on other drivers to know what they're doing (I was 16 and hadn't learned that yet). IMHO, that's the bottom line - we can rail against the lack of enforced laws against cell phone-using drivers or geezers who should be shot if they get in a car, but none of that's going to happen. All we can do is to try to stay alert and not assume bonehead actions aren't going to take place that put us in danger (sometimes we might even do them ourselves). Personally, I find it easier to be alert and watchful if I'm not pi**ed off at some idiot that's just risked my life - it's a waste of time, and it probably just extends my reaction time when I have to respond to the next jerk (we seem to have an inexhaustible supply in every area I've lived).

imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote