Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #91
brandenw
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson worth more than GM!

I thought you were the one who started complaining about something that didn't happen.. Ah well, what do you think the majority of the press does? I'm sure even fox exagerrates a bit, why else would any of the current newstations be in business?

Everything's drama, everything is the other side's fault. It's just another case of people being unwilling to accept that they made a mistake.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #92
drthompson65
Founding Member

I'm really happy for HD. I hope they keep it up. Goes to show if you improve you quality *cough* and build a story behind the name you can bring a company back. Harley does stick with what works but they have also started to embrace the newer technology while still holding that classic style.

Five years ago I went to imports. Lexus and BMW. Both of my cars now have over 100,000 miles and still drive and handle like they just came out of the box. I could not say that for a SHO Taurus I had before that or my Durago. What I don't like about the imports is the cost of keeping them up. Brakes on my BMW run $400 a axel and I usually need them ever 15 to 20k. Lexus/Toyota at high miles requires you to check timing belts, etc. I just sunk $1600 into car repairs for my BMW (Front/Rear brakes, Inspection, Oil Change, etc). While I could have done everything myself its DAMN COLD here in Minnesota now so I coughed up the money..

2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #93
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

It's one of those things that makes the rounds.

I think it was even on the "evil" Drudge Report.

Both Parties have their "Train Wrecks". When the Demos get into office next round they will have there's just as much as the Repubs are currently conducting their own.

Kinda wish more people would look into other parties to vote for just to keep things a little more honest when it comes to elections, but it just doesn't happen.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #94
Rsduce
Registered Member

Well.......we can always throw $5 coffee or software at them when we run out of bullets!
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #95
Rsduce
Registered Member

I didnt know they had entrepreneurs in the blue states......I thought they all just relied on goverment programs to feed, clothe, employ and shelter them.
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #96
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

You need to step outside the US.

Finland beats the US on every measureable statistic - infant mortality, math scores, internet penetration, self-rated happiness, suicide rates, literacy - everything. They are about 90% unionized, have socialized medicine and education, mandatory military service and a roughly comparable standard of living.

The difference between a US businessman and a Finnish businessman can be summed up in a quote from the CEO of a small tech firm I deal with:

"I am Finnish. I could not more outsource my call center than I could cut off my own leg. How could I come home to my Finnish wife and my Finnish children and tell them with a straight face that I laid off 100 Finns so that I could save 15% on my labour costs? The money I pay them is not wasted, which is how many US CEOs would see it. It is an investment - an investment in my people and my country."
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #97
davidhaner
Founding Member

Don't you have this backwards? The blue coastal cities generate all the taxes that the interior red states spend on farm subsidies and welfare. Look it up, it's true. The red states are actually a fiscal liability overall.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #98
davidhaner
Founding Member

Touche.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #99
Logan01
Founding Member

My company doesn't have any stock holders. It floats or sinks with me. The $750 per month per employee makes it to where I can't afford to pay insurance on my employees. Trust me on this, the margins of profit are so small due to Wal-Mart being able to sell stuff cheaper than I can buy it, there isn't any money left to give raises or pay benefits. To be honest I take pay cuts myself at times just to keep things going.

You are correct in the fact that big business is only interested in the almighty dollar, but most of the people I know in small business treat employees like family.
Logan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #100
elranchero
Registered Member

G.M. was never the same after Harley Earl left.
elranchero is offline   Reply With Quote