Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: XBRR Not Legal for FX?

C'mon. We all new this was coming, right?

Is Erion Racing afraid of this thing? Personally, I hope the AMA allows it in.

Let the Buells race!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
jpp
Founding Member

The article answers it's own question - if the XBRR is based on an an engine and frame form a current production bike it's legal for FX - I suspect that using the XB frame and a modified production engine meets that requirement. It's not street legal because they don't have lights, turn signals, dot rubber, EPA approved muffler etc.

In other words there is nothing to see here, move along.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'd have to venture a guess that Buell did its homework regarding the FX class prior to releasing this model.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
bollert
Registered Member

Yea, I don't get the beef either. The Erion CBR was a $9000 streetbike when it arrived at Erion's shop in a box, but I'd bet the wheels never rotated even before the bike was completely stripped of most all factory parts. I wonder how much an FX CBR costs, including the bike price itself. Buell is trying to offer a raceready bike so that more folks will race them, just a marketing tool. I wonder if the Buell XBRR is FX ready out the box.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
nweaver
Founding Member

Default I think they are misreading the rulebook...

For rule purposes, this is probably considered an XB-9R: With the stock but strengthened chassis, a new swingarm (unlimited mods for air cooleds), whatever body work is desired, etc.

The rule for air cooled twins in Formula Extreme is basically unlimited modification to the engine, so this undoubtedly qualifies unless Buell REALLY screwed up.

http://www.amaproracing.com/prorace/...20Rulebook.pdf

The only gotcha may be Chapter 1: E-2-H-2 (formula extreme homologation): But this would be OK as long as Buell says that the frame & engine started life destined for the streetbike.

I think Superbike Planet really jumped the gun here.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's stupid. Erion is whining about something they know will (or already has) been reviewed by AMA Pro Racing anyway. I'd bet my K100 on the fact that Eric sat down with AMA months ago to make sure that the bike could race in the 200. I'd also bet they said "sure we need the deversity". So Erion is flapping his gums for no reason at all.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
bboule
Founding Member

It may be stupid for Erion to be complaining but letting Buell have unlimited modifications IMO makes the class pretty retarded.

If the bike is so uncompetitive that they get to have over double the displacement, as many mods as they want on any part of the bike, etc, etc, then Buell better win every race all season long or they look pretty pathetic.

The class has obviously been stacked for Buell... if they can't win with this bike commandingly why on earth should we root for them.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"The relevant question seems to be this: where is the XBRR streetbike this machine is based on?"

Um, looks like it's based on a...uh....er...Buell?

Kinda at least.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
drthompson65
Founding Member

I agree. Let the Buell's race!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
DataDan
Founding Member

It will race whether or not it's strictly legal simply because the AMA will bend over backwards to put a Harley in the show.

Remember the VR1000 Superbike? It was designed as a racebike from a clean sheet of paper, then homologated by getting it certified as a streetbike in Poland or something. None was ever sold as a streetbike in Poland or anywhere else AFAIK, yet there it was, racing alongside the 851s, RC45s, OW01s, ZX7s, and Gixxers--models that filled the track parking lots.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote