Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-12-2001, 08:39 AM   #1
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Quokka Downgraded

There a bunch of bastards. Good riddance.

BTW Firs Post
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2001, 08:41 AM   #2
VFRider
Registered Member

Who taught me how to spell? That's just pitiful.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:13 AM   #3
hackfu
Founding Member

must'af ben mee.

hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 10:15 AM   #4
blip
Founding Member

Why suck malovence towards Quokka?
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 11:28 AM   #5
VFRider
Registered Member

They held media control of the motorcycle GP series and did not allow any other journalists access. This lead to bias reporting, unproven rumors being floated to try to generate interest and a general lack of credability. Aside from that, they do have a very nice site. Their streaming video is quite good.
Old 02-12-2001, 11:45 AM   #6
moonline
Founding Member

Talk about a slow news day!!! Come on, somebody start another Harly vs. them thread. Otherwise, I might actually have to do some paperwork. Any new rumors of the new and improved, bigger and badder Valkyrie? How 'bout that synthetic oil?
moonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
blip
Founding Member

Dealing with Quokka was infinitely better than Dorna, who're horrid. Dorna can't seem to grasp that, in the USA, no one really cares about GPs. I was discussing results of a focus group with one of the major OEMs not too long ago, of the 10 people there, not one could name an AMA Superbike victor, nine didn't even know what AMA Superbike was, and none of them ever saw a GP.

Fairly typical in the US, no one really cares about roadracing. Mind you, the few that do are exceptionally vocal and chatty, so they post frequently, but even our logfiles show that races do less than 1% of the traffic of a major motorcycle features. And it's always been that way, even back in 1994 and 1995 when MO was the only motorcycle publication online, and the only source of news.

That said, we offered to send Colin MacKeller, our most esteemed contributor and publisher of fine GP books, to every round this year, and push GP racing at our readers, which are over a million per month strong -- significantly higher than even any motorcycle TV shows reach.

Dorna, in their infinite wisdom, turned us down. And they were pretty crass about it.

What to do? I guess we'll stay home and save the boatloads of cash it costs to send someone all over the world. With Quokka going, Quokka took their MotoGP.Com site back, but it's weak, full of broken links and multimedia that doesn't work.

So I guess the online world won't be reading much about GPs this year.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 07:35 PM   #8
superbikefan
Founding Member

Whoa...great insight there Brent, thanks for letting us know the real situation here. If this is their attitude and way of dealing with others, they deserve to fail. What a loss for the sport in general.
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:31 AM   #9
BradGross
Founding Member

This is really too bad. I love watching road course races such as GP and AMA so to see something as boring as NASCAR get the elevator while something as exciting as GP get the shaft is truly unfortunate. With luck somebody will rise above all this and give it the coverage that it deserves. Hey blip, you listening???

As for Quokka their biggest problem was they were 2 years ahead of their time. Not many people had broadband access so when they spent all of their money, no one could fully use their site. Then again all of the web is seeing a slowdown and it seems that the multimedia companies are getting hit the hardest. Too bad. Just when it was getting fun....
BradGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:35 AM   #10
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Blasphemy!

Am I the only roadracing addict that watches AMA, GP, WSBK, Canadian Superbike and basically anything not going around an oval (unless it's dirtrack motorcycles)? I think a lot of that must be because of lack of televised events Brent, eh? Now with Speedvision, I don't have to hunt TV listings looking for obscure race times at 3am on ESPN and such.

The original Quokka site was nice, this pitiful site that they have now, is useless.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote