Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: EPA limits motorcycle emissions.

So, this law will change the face of motorcycling eh?

I don't see it myself, maybe move the make-noise-look-at-me lamebrains that infest certain segments of our sport on to other activities, for the average motorcylist it's buisness as usual. Buy a bike, ride the wheels off it, rinse, repeat.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
SuperBill
Founding Member

This is news? Check out this December 2003 press release from the EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03044.pdf

Also entertaining is this FAQ propaganda sheet released at the same time http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03045.pdf

So, are we surprised about another U.S. government infringement on the inalienable rights of the citizens? Unlike the Mr. Hubbard quoted in the article, I am confident that the Enviro-Nazis will enforce this law, much to the glee of the typical cage driver. I wonder how many times Mr. Hubbard has voted for a Republicrat, or not voted at all, thus ensuring the ultimate demise of the sport we all love.

One reason that IÂ’m confident that these laws can and will be enforced is the minimal impact they will have on most Americans, or on most motorcyclists for that matter. As we know, most Americans donÂ’t have a problem with someone else losing some of their rights.

In any event, the EPA hasnÂ’t banned LOUD pipes, only stinky pipes. IÂ’m sure that the aftermarket will spring up with many choices of obnoxiously loud pipes that meet EPA emissions requirements. And most manufacturers have been building bikes that meet the new requirements anyway. So forget the argument that compliance isnÂ’t do-able, and stick with the one that the bloated, bureaucratic federal government should keep out of everybodyÂ’s business.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
bboule
Founding Member

So does this mean they are actually going to start emissions testing bikes at inspection time like they do with cars?

As far as I can tell this is meaningless and unenforceable until they start emissions testing at inspection time.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
MonsterFreak
Founding Member

Granted nobody wants the government sticking their noses in our business; however lets be realistic about the impact of such a thing. I don't believe for one second that Daytona bike week will be ruined if a bunch of inconsiderate bikers can't have drag pipes roaring through the streets. Most people (myself included) don't want to have to cover their ears or wait for some obnoxious bike owner to go by before they can finish their conversation. And the guys that put these straight pipes on their bikes feel it is their God-given right to be as rude as they want to be. Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion - I just wish people would be a bit more considerate of others every once in a while.
MonsterFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
pudlepirate
Founding Member

great, now they will trade fuel economy for emisions. you would think that less fuel burned would be a good thing, but the epa seems all to eager to trade mpgs for cleaner exhaust, guess they think gas is clean right until it gets put in your tank.. me I would rather burn less gas.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
mii54ws
Founding Member

Amen, brother. It's time for real motorcyclist to not be identified with the "make-noise-kook-at-me" bunch.

I've had two car drivers pass me (one a slick looking chick in a BMW convertable) and give me the thumbs up because of my stock Vulcan Nomad and dressed with high visibility vest over my Roadmaster jacket. Also, a little kid at a stop sign where I was pulling away took his hands away from his ears since he could not here what he had expected, namely a loud "blasting tractor" sound; i.e. a Harley hog. Our freedom as motorcyclist just improved since we are less likely to be associated with adult children on loud motorcyles. Hurah!!!!
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
Tigercub
Founding Member

Didn't we just talk about this a week or so ago?

It's still a non-issue, except for possibly Big Dog and Confederate etc. The only way they can enforce this ne law is to have annual or semiannual testing of bikes emissions like they do for cars. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

HD, as far back as the '80s, installed these pointy little cams and lean carbs to meet emissions requirements in California. The mufflers are stamped with a tampering warning on them. But, I saw a shop in So. Cal modify a brand new bike for a customer with cam, carb and pipes even before he picked it up. It was just illegal then, but it didn't stop them.

Anyway, Harley's problem is they sell undersquare pushrod motors and can only increase power output by increasing displacement. So far, it works. One day they will issue a 3 liter motor to maintain their 65hp output.

Sport bikes are so well engineered that tampering or changing exhaust pipes often results in worst performance, so what's the point of doing that even now?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
bmwdude
Founding Member

As a farmer and tractor owner, I resent that comparison!

As for the rest, I'm pretty guilty with past bikes. As for my current bike, the clutch makes more noise than the exhaust. (Loud Clutches Save Lives?)

Adult Children? Is there a 12 step program to help folks like me transition to stock exhausts?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Another regulation *sigh*

I don't mind tighter emissions standards, as long as they are not self defeating. If in getting those tighter emissions you reduce my acceleration, thus causing me to use more throttle to gain it back, the whole point is lost.

That said, I have a mega problem with them telling me I can only modify one bike in my lifetime. That is unreasonable and absurd. This is not to say I for ear-blasting pipe (that was noise laws are for) or cutting Cats (emissions go to the gutter for 3-5hp gain, pointless and wasteful) and the like, but I should have to ability to customize my ride (be it 2, 4, hell 6 wheels as long it is safe for the road and can meet their requirements.

I'm going to stop there. I can go on for several paragraphs, but I wouldn't even begin to describe how much the latter infuriates me.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I've had two car drivers pass me (one a slick looking chick in a BMW convertable) and give me the thumbs up because of my stock Vulcan Nomad and dressed with high visibility vest over my Roadmaster jacket."

Those guy was gay, and the chick threw up laughing. Not that there is anything wrong with that.