Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #31
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Bikes already meet these regulations!

When I was a kid (in the '60s) we would leave the San Jouquin valley for LA and by the time you got to the bottom of the grapevine you hit the smog. It stung your eyes and throat until you got used to it. That doesn't happen anymore.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: EPA limits motorcycle emissions.

"Seems like this law is going to make a bunch of us law breakers. It isn't about the noise with quite a few of us. We keep em quiet, but also like to make them run the way they ought to."

And us gearheads will always be able to do that. The rest, and by far the vast majority, will have to be satisfied with what they bought. That's why the sore backs, scarred hands and greasy fingernails separates us from the masses. So, EPA, bring it on!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #33
12er
Founding Member

A clean bike is a sign of a sick mind. I clean mine when I ride in the rain.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #34
12er
Founding Member

Every two years in CA on your Car or you dont get new tags. Unless your vehicle is over 25 years old, then its a classic and you can modify the hell out of it.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #35
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Bikes already meet these regulations!

Thats because your used to the same thing in the Valley. I get that feeling leaving the bay area and dropping down the altimont pass. You are warned to stay indoors a month out of the summer in Sac due to smog. Fresno is as bad or worse... Granted LA isnt as bad as it used to be but still sux to watch the brown "fog" ooze over the hills into the Ojai valley in the evenings.

Whats really BS is that SF has lower emission standards due to their "A" rating on air pollution. Not that the onshore flow blowing all the pollution to the Valley has something to do with it...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #36
12er
Founding Member

I got a couple of those too, at least the one that commutes in the summer is my "forgot to set the alarm" saver.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #37
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default industry smart: motorcyclist cheap

I suspect that if industry contributed as little to the Congressional coffers as motorcyclists do as a PAC, they'd have had their nuts handed to them in the '70's. As for me, well, bring it on: it'll let me ***** and moan from a position of righteousness that I now get my bike's emissions checked.

Bryan...and quieter bikes *would* be nice...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #38
obandoj
Founding Member

Blame the "loud pipes save lives" a&*holes for that one, their stupidity never ceases to amaze me. It was only a matter of time and now they got what they deserved. Our sport bikes are so advanced now that we do not need no stinking loud pipes to have great performance, ha ha...
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #39
Tomas_P
Founding Member

This isn't good news. More intrusive gummint regulation is never good. Its just damn depressing and completely unnecessary. This one seems truly un-American. Its more like something those poor emasculated Brits have to endure.

Motorcycle emissions must be a miniscule part of the grand total emissions from all motor vehicles. Most bikes today, both sportbikes and cruisers, are already using EFI instead of carbs, and are unlikely to be gross polluters. And one modified bike per lifetime? Yes, absurd is the only word that comes to mind. Thank god this law will be difficult to enforce. I hope.

I am also a bit disappointed in some of the posters here who seem to be cheered by the notion that this will only affect riders of custom bikes, not sportbikes. You find that amusing, do you? I'll bet the dull gray bloodless bureaucrats that wrote this law would find it amusing that motorcyclists are so divided and petty. Since bike riders apparently like to spend most their time sniping at one another based on choice of bike, it just makes them that much easier to regulate. Or eliminate, if necessary.

Laws can be amended. All it takes is popular pressure and money applied to politicians. But the general car-driving majority doesn't much like motorcyclists, and sometimes it seems that motorcyclists don't even like each other. Too bad.

Well, enjoy your freedom while you can. And try to hold on to some, so you can leave it to your children.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #40
mii54ws
Founding Member

The last two bikes I've had (FJR1300 and currently VN1600 Nomad) were both fuel injected. No backfiring.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote