Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #21
2WF
Founding Member

Default Re: EPA limits motorcycle emissions.

You don't see bike emissions testing happening any time soon? Yea, well, how many of us would have seen a once in a lifetime mod happen either. You underestimate the power of government.
2WF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #22
KLRer
Founding Member

Uncle Sam is prone to stepping on the little guys toes more so than say Exxon's. But I personally don't mind the clean air regs or the regs that attempt to keep beef tainted with madcow disease off the market etc.. What gets me is the government monitoring everyone who buys a grow lamp and knocking down people's doors if their electric bills take a sudden surge, stuff like that.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #23
KLRer
Founding Member

Uncle Sam is prone to stepping on the little guys toes more so than say Exxon's. But I personally don't mind the clean air regs or the regs that attempt to keep beef tainted with madcow disease off the market etc.. What gets me is the government monitoring everyone who buys a grow lamp and knocking down people's doors if their electric bills take a sudden surge, stuff like that.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
KLRer
Founding Member

Uncle Sam is prone to stepping on the little guys toes more so than say Exxon's. But I personally don't mind the clean air regs or the regs that attempt to keep beef tainted with madcow disease off the market. What gets me is the government monitoring everyone who buys a grow lamp and knocking down people's doors if their electric bills take a sudden surge, stuff like that.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #25
jhinton
Registered Member

Default Lots of Bikes already meet these regulations!

This is a non-issue. My 2002 BMW meets the upcoming EPA regulation and it was built 5 years before the regulation goes into effect. Actually, all BMWÂ’s meet this regulation already as well as quite a few other motorcycle manufacturers. All this really means is that all future bikes will have EFI and catalytic converters, which means they will start easier and run better in all situations. This is the death of the carburetors and straight pipes but not the death of motorcycles.

As to the one non-compliant bike per person, notice the regulation does say one modified bike. IÂ’m surprised and disappointed that the EPA is allowing one non-compliant bike. Think about it, we havenÂ’t been allowed non-compliant cars since 1972, and cars continue to get better and better. Yes, they are more complicated, but they are also fundamentally better performing. All it means is that law-abiding aftermarket parts suppliers will have to make sure that their parts meet the EPA standards when installed. Once again, this is no different than for cars.

For those saying the government should regulate industry and leave us alone, I would have to disagree. We should regulate industry, motorcycles, lawn equipment, big rigs, tractors, and all sources of pollution that cause my air to be full of smog 8 to 9 months out of the year. IÂ’m sick of heading to the Smoky Mountains for a hike and having the views spoiled by a thick blanket of brown smog. IÂ’m sick of the local weatherman having to report on the smog levels and declare smog days because ozone levels are too high. If it takes a federally mandated law and yearly emission testing in all 50 states to do it, I say it is a very small price to pay for clean air. I donÂ’t think air and water pollution is something that can be regulated locally because unfortunately, air and water donÂ’t know to respect state boundaries. My air is affected by every state to the west of me.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

Some places have had this for 20 years. It all depends where you live.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Bikes already meet these regulations!

OK, cool. I'm going for a ride on my RD350.

;-P
Old 01-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #28
ncelik
Registered Member

Another industry (and hobby of mine) came across EPA regulations for fuel and emissions a few years back. They fought and they won. Then EPA wanted to regulate the noise. They fought again and won again.

However, it turns out they shot themselves in both feet.

When the EPA wanted to ban lead in Aviation fuel, AOPA and EAA fought it, claiming the few hundred $ for modifications per plane are unacceptable. To this day planes are flying using 100LL (low lead). However, this has become somewhat of a boutique fuel, and costs way more than regular fuel or even Jet-A. There is even talk about discontinuing it completely. It ended up costing way more than making the modification. Not to mention that the engine manufacturers, due to the fact that they did not have to innovate, are still selling the same engines like in the 50's. Nor the fact that these planes add to lead levels in all of us.

Then the EPA wanted to set up noise levels. AOPA and EAA fought it again and won. GA airplanes are not limited in noise levels in any way today, unlike Europe. However, now we have lawsuits popping up all over the country with people suing flight and aerobatic clubs. The AOPA now wants self-regulation, suggests voluntary restrictions, flying different paths, etc. However, this all could have been avoided if they had 2 grams of brain and foresight, complied with the EPA and we had quiet planes. Not to mention that flying a quieter plane is a much nicer experience than the spam-can's you can rent today.

Just food for thought.

ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 AM   #29
03zx12r
Registered Member

Sounds like a conversation we've had before. I personally beleive that the noise of the pipes caused this. I have a neighbor who comes home from the bar at 3am each night - he feels it nessary to run the last block to his house at W.O.T... He found a couple of potatos in his pipes the next day and was late metting his friends on Sunday morning. I will thank him.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #30
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Lots of Bikes already meet these regulations!

Poor viz in the "Smokey" mountains - whoda' thunk it?

Hey – why wait for somebody else to do something about pollution? Why not put your money where your mouth is and sign up for TerraPass at http://www.terrapass.com/index.html. These fine folks figure the amount of CO2 your vehicle generates per annum and the cost of reducing this amount from some other source. You send them a check, they use the money to fund clean energy projects like wind power, and greenhouse gas abatement projects like landfill capping. They’ll even buy and retire greenhouse gas credits traded on commodity exchanges. And they send you a cool sticker that you can apply to your vehicle to show everyone else how morally superior you are! Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, don’t it?
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote