Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: EPA limits motorcycle emissions.

Be sure and thank your loud pipe "brothers" next time you see one...and don't forget your Hulk Hogan act when you say "brother"...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
straightshooter_la
Founding Member

errrrrr I've been driveing for 18 years now and I've never once had anyone test the emmisions on any of my vehicles. I live in South Louisiana. Is this an isue in other areas?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
dean_1
Founding Member

yeah but with the the new improved sound systems you can get now all you have to do is down load a file. Maybe Harley can make one that will interact with the throttle position.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: And they Haven't Made Any Fast Cars Since 1970

Emissions standards for motorcycles? Big friggin deal.

Back in the early '70s everybody said emissions standards would kill high-performance cars. It did, for as long as Detroit kept building cars by neanderthal standards of engineering.

But necessity is the mother of invention. As a result of those EPA standards, carmakers went full speed ahead in the areas of materials science and electronics, and today's high-performance cars kick the asses of the legendary cars of the sixties.

Motorcycles are just going to get better. Motorcycle aftermarket exhausts systems will be available -- including loud ones -- they just won't eliminate the emissions controls.

There are plenty of modified pickups, SUVs, Vettes, and Hondas blaring around with loud, emissions-legal exhaust systems these days.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #15
Bheckel169
Founding Member

I have a better idea regarding pipes and emissions. Let's start with the big tall ones that belch smoke from some of our industries. What idiots. How much of an emission problem could some bikes make in comparison to big industry. I'm not into bashing our industrial complex, but geez, where are the priorities here?
Bheckel169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #16
tomk2
Founding Member

"Those guy was gay"

Lemme just point out that it was Harley riders who popularized assless chaps as moto-wear
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
iamz
Founding Member

Default My MPG went down...

...on the one bike I put an aftermarket exhaust on.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #18
iamz
Founding Member

"Buy a bike, ride the wheels off it, rinse, repeat."

I seem to find myself even skipping the rinse as of late. Rather just keep riding.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
morriscm
Registered Member

Maybe technology will come to the rescue, but even when I keep everything else stock, I've usually got to reject any new motorcycle (on or off road) I get to take care of the overly lean settings they are sold with. I'm not doing this for more horsepower - just running without backfiring on deceleration, sometimes easier starting, and curing the modern off road 4 strokes tendency to sput and die at low rpm (of course you can always ride your 450 at high rpm - at least until you kill yourself)

Seems like this law is going to make a bunch of us law breakers. It isn't about the noise with quite a few of us. We keep em quiet, but also like to make them run the way they ought to.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
nesbit
Founding Member

Where to begin? This is, of course, a "win/win" for the politicians. They can appear concerned and pro-active to their majority constituencies, while risking nothing, as the % of bikers in their districts is inconsequential. What of the bureaucrats who write and implement this bilge? They get to justify their jobs by writing reams of meaningless regulations that clarify nothing and resolve nothing, while assuring approval of their agencies inflated budget for next fiscal year. None of this Catch-22 mindlessness should come as a surprise to any of us. We've all watched from the side lines as this whirlpool descent into legislative chaos has evolved. Lewis Carroll could not have imagined it on this scale. Regrettably, many (motorcyclists included) have abetted the process in the naive belief that more and more intrusive government is the answer. The result is now an out of control legislative mania in which any issue, small or large, real or imagined, can be legislated into law by politicians who are either corrupt and/or easily intimidated by pressure groups. The founding fathers would no doubt look at what we've created and shake their heads in dismay. We've abandoned the fundamental belief in rational, limited government, serving the interests of what used to be an essentially self-reliant population. The subject under discussion here is merely a microcosm of a system wide affliction, in which not a single elected representative can rise up and state unequivically that he wishes to be measured by how little paper he produces, rather than by how much. The irony here is that my position, once considerd mainsteam, now exists only on the polar end of the political spectrum - considered by the current mainsteam of opinion as almost counter-revolutionary. Nevertheless, while cynical about this process, I remain completely optimistic about motorcycle industry capabilities in finding technically innovative end runs around the dunderheads we've empowered to run (ruin) our lives, with regard to performance, sound, and yes, even emissions compliance, whether necessary or not. Keep the faith, bros!

nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote