Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
morriscm
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Industry Council joins forces to keep OHV use open in Nat'l Parks.

Wisconsin was totally deforested by 1900 due to irresponsible logging. Now it has more forest than it did when the first Europeans landed in America. Lost 99%??? Not anymore. And the logging industry is alive and well in Wisconsin.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Industry Council joins forces to keep OHV use open in Nat'l Parks.

Well looks like it mightn't have been such a fine idea to plant all those trees after all, what with them all spewing out greenhouse gases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4604332.stm
Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Breaking the Rules

Being close minded does permanent damage to your brain.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
KLRer
Founding Member

I mainly agree with you, but I wish there was someway of separating out responsible offroad motorcyclists who arent interested in raising hell, making a lot of noise or killing every damn thing, and allowing them to use those trails. If noise is the issue, limit use to appropriately silenced 4 strokes. And if someone so much as looks at the flora and fauna with evil intent, lock em up and make an example of them. Seriously, throw away the key as far as I'm concerned. Theyre called National Parks for a reason and its not so they can be paved over with asphalt or turned into strip mines.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow. Can we have soem reasoned debate here? This is like discussing abortion!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #16
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Again, though, Wisconsin is just one state, not all fifty taken as a whole. Each state decides its forest management policy and some are better than others at doing so. I'm glad to hear that Wisconsin has done some good.

The point, though, is that pavement and the plough have done their damage along with badly managed forests. I read a report from the UFF that said that almost 100% of the possible arable land in the US had been planted, the rest being non-arable or paved over. Human population growth has proven the wiser minds who made the National Parks right. They were correct to set aside some wilderness to be protected or it would have been paved over, too.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #17
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

They spew out greenhouse gases at night, then spew oxygen during the day. Internal combustion engines spew out greenhouse gases all the time and don't produce any useful gas to offset that. O2 at least turns into ozone 2-3% of the time and gives us the ozone layer
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #18
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I agree with this option completely. IIRC, though, funding for the national park service has been on the decline for the last several presidents. I doubt they could enforce that level of diligence if they wanted to.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #19
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Breaking the Rules

As far as nature is concerned, nothing is really ever permanent. Animals will move back in when the motorcycles leave and the tracks will eventually overgrow or animals will use it as a game trail. The ecosystem won't be exactly the same, but another ecosystem will be created nonetheless.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #20
KLRer
Founding Member

The wolves are worth more than the rednecks thats all. Mountain lions too.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote