Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle pollution ''worse than car pollution'', so say the Swiss.

Wankers! First post?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
Longshot92
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle pollution ''worse than car pollution'', so say the Swiss.

what bike did they test to conclude this? was it a harley with straight pipes or my bone-stock 50-mpg-sprint st?

"bollocks" i say
Longshot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

third post, wahoo!

This, of course, fails to take into account the other social benefits of biking. To wit: radically less wear on the road infrastructure, releaved parking pressure, less congestion in traffic, and far less actual fuel used.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
03zx12r
Registered Member

I know for a fact that this information is not accurate across the board. My injected Ninja was tuned on the dyno with a gas analizer and it's emmisions are less than my car. maybe if they tested a 2 stroke or a P.O.S. in need of rings and some carb work, but not the current stuff. I suppose if they tested a Harley with an after market cam with lots of overlap it would be easy to get bad results, but between the EFI, cat converters and the extreemely lean conditions manufacturers set these bikes to - I don't buy this crap!
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Hmmm. Not a lot of information here. If they are comparing a hybrid Civic to an old RD350, then there might be a problem.

As I understand it, motorcycles can be seen as higher polluting vehicles if the measurement is taken as say, "Grams of pollutant per passenger/horsepower-mile" or something like that. I am sure wiser heads here will know.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Oh, and Yes, the EPA already knows.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Consider the source. Look very carefully at the fine print at the bottom. It reads, "Content provided by: Verdict On Cars." Now, check out the website. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And here I thought they only wanted to ban motorcycles because they were loud and obnoxious. I guess this story shoots that theory in the ass.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
TomSmith
Founding Member

Looks like I'd better not let them test my 1973 Kawasaki Mach III 2-stroke triple.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

Reuters ain't exactly the most reliable news source on this planet. See James Taranto's "Best of the Web" daily feature in WSJ's online Opinion Journal...especially the "Not too Brite" feature...on all things going on in "Reutersville".

Anywho, on Drudge early today was a link to a Brit proposal to monitor ALL traffic 24/7 with data kept 2 yr minimum on movements of ALL vehicles on ALL roads at ALL times. Hello Big Brother traffic cameras.

The Euroweenies -and I'm sad to include the mother country in this group of losers - can and will regulate anything. This stuff is not only no suprise but sadly expected.

Sounds like Longride is in dire need of a "Thunder in the Whatever" fix. Earplugs optional, of course!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote