Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle pollution ''worse than car pollution'', so say the Swiss.

Well, I guess that's one way to get around the censor; put it all in a furrin' language, eh?

Wenn man nicht verstehen die Sprache kann, it all sounds greek.(sorry my Deutsche gave out on me at the end there....)
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #22
spombe7
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle pollution ''worse than car pollution'', so say the Swiss.

I am not surprised at all that on average motorcycles pollute more than cars. There are only a very few motorcycles contain a catalytic converter because such a device in general adds cost and reduces effective hp to the motorcycle, and manufactures donÂ’t think that such an environmentally friendly motorcycle will sell in the US. (You are the judge to this prediction) A vast majority of the motorcycles still have just a good old carb and you can smell the gas that comes out the pipe; by contrast, you no longer smell anything from most modern cars. So everybody, letÂ’s accept the reality and start to demand motorcycles to be equipped with the latest technology to reduce air pollution and to increase gas mileage even if that means that not all your money will buy the horse power.

If you go to Asia where motorcycles and scooters are important commuting tools and where tough environmental rules just start to be implemented, you can feel and smell the gas in the air. In those places there is no doubt that motorcycles and scooters (especially those 2-cycle ones) pollute big time.

spombe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #23
eojmo
Founding Member

The tests where carried out using a 1984 MZ 2 stroke hauling two large yodellers and a Swiss horn to the top of a steep mountain pass.

Have they ever taken into consideration the pollution put out by the millions of unregulated 2 stroke lawn mowers, brush cutters, chain saws, whipper snipper and leaf blowers? I shouldnÂ’t think so. Once again motorcycles are an easy target.

eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #24
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

I'm not suprised. My '87 GSXR, when ridden gently (i.e. almost never), will get 40mpg. But it weighs 1/6th of what my VW Passat does and has less than half the aero drag. Yet the Passat gets about 23mpg. A friend of mine with a CBX1100 has put in a Power Commander and adjusted his FI to much leaner than standard for part throttle. His mileage has gone up 30% with no flat spots or other bad behavoir. I think the motorcycle manufacturers just haven't cared about fuel mileage - and the consequent emissions
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #25
jpp
Founding Member

The paper is:

Mattrel, P./Vasic, A.-M./Gujer, E./ VOC Haag, R./Weilenmann, M

composition and ozone-forming potential of the exhaust gas of in-use motorcycles. International journal of environment and pollution 2004, 22(3), 301–311

I think the key part is "in use motorcycles" which would tend to cover the spectrum including the aforementioned RD350 and MZ with yodelers. I've emailed the author and asked for a copy of the paper.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #26
obandoj
Founding Member

The holes in their theory are bigger than the ones in their cheese.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Mier gut mein komradd. Ist das not dien schnitzelbanch?

YAH DAS IST MIEN SCHITZELBANCH!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #28
spombe7
Founding Member

The question raised by this article, it appears, is to compare between cars and motorcycles which one pollutes the air more. And I agree with the article that motorcycles on average pollute the air more than cars do. I know this may come as a surprise to many since motorcycles look so small as compared to a car and many of us ride motorcycles thinking that we are doing something good for the environment. Unfortunately, untill motorcycle manufactures start to take this, as well as safety, seriously, they will continue to make motorcycles with more and more hr as the major selling points. The new Kaw Ninja 650 has a catalytic converter and it meets the tough Euro 3 standard. However the Ninja 650 costs more than $6,000. Many commuting oriented bikes in the US, those in the 250-500cc range, all have engine and exhaust designs that are more than 10 yr old. I have a Honda Rebel, which was designed in 1987. These bikes will allow more particles and chemicals to leak out and only a catalytic converter can reduce them.

Lawn mowers , leaf blowers, etc not only pollute the air, they are horribly noisy and many communities ban them. We should clean them up as well but their makers are doing a good job in lobbyng the congress by saying that this will raise the price of their products and thus not good for the economy. So the pollution continues "for the good of the economy."
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #29
spombe7
Founding Member

I remember reading articles on air pollution comparision between a morden car and a lawn mower in which they were both turned on and then after a given period of time measured to determine the amount of pollutants that they produced. A lawn mower can pollute more than a car despite its small displacement.

Most motorcycles do not use the same technology that cars use, eg catalytic converter, to filter and remove the particles and chemicals and are thus more polluting. This is not surprising at all.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #30
drthompson65
Founding Member

BAH! Two stroke scooters MAYBE but not todays modern bikes. Ducati is producing bikes that meet Euro 2 and 3 standards (as well as BMW). This is someone trying to make his 15 minutes of fame.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote