Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Euro Licensing Model Meets Resistance For Now.

first!!!!!!!!!!!

What looks good on the surface has flaws throughout underneath..

The Euro weenies are trying to make licensing harder not safer. The Brits have the system right.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
nomad62
Registered Member

I have mixed emotions about these regulations possibly making their way over here. Though I didn't really plan it this way, at 43 y.o. and riding 28 years I am riding my first over 1000 cc. bike. Started on an XL 100 at 15 and steadily got a little more motorcycle each of the 10 or so bikes since then. It has worked for me so far but I like to think I am more mature also.
nomad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
SRMark
Founding Member

Make the tests real tests and I'd be okay with a 14 year old riding a 'busa and never letting some 45 year olds ever ride anything ever.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Tigercub
Founding Member

I don't see tiered licensing happening over here. Motorcycling in the US isn't for transportation, it's for recreation. We don't impact society in any significant way. Now, if we had a national healthcare program that was paid for out of taxpayer dollars then the burden to the healthcare system might draw attention.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Yet it is okay for a 16 year old to drive moms Hummer?

The whole idea of restricting what an adult can do makes my head hurt. I don't think it is really right that the drinking age is 21 in the US. If you can join the military, sign a contract, go to real prison, and or get married what right does the government have to say you can't buy a drink or ride a motor cycle.

I am way over 25 and don't drink at all but things like this really bother me. Maybe it is because I am live in Florida and see too many 80 year olds running people down. Yes in a parking lot near my office an 80 year old ran over a mother and two kids!

Motorcycles don't tend to kill anyone that isn't ridding them. Fix the car system first since they are more dangerous.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
DougandCarol
Founding Member

Default Re: The Brits have it right!

Agreed, the Brit system does have the best numbers...go with a system that works. Let each state set requirements. The MSF can work with EACH STATE if the MSF wants a piece of the pie. Absolutely NO NATIONAL STANDARDS...minimizes the inevitable influence peddling!
DougandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
TimZ1000
Founding Member

I'd have to say that most inexperienced riders shouldn't be able to buy a 600cc sportbike much less a big bike( including a 700lb cruiser). I have a 15 yr old son and can't wait to help him get a street bike. I know it won't be a repli-racer of any kind. I'm planning on starting him out on a DR-Z400SM. It's a great learning bike. I'm all about sportbikes but feel too many young people shouldn't be "learning" the road on these very fast bikes. I don't have any quick answers but I would agree to any Reasonable plan of graduated liscense program. I'm sure it would save a few lives and a whole lot of pain.
TimZ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

It's none of my business or the business of my government to keep people from killing themselves. A bike rider - inexperienced, drunk, high, or whatever - is a danger almost exclusively to himself. On the other hand that soccer mom in the SUV with a cel phone in her ear...

If graduated licensing were used to make the streets safer they'd make everybody ride a motorcycle for 3yrs before they could drive a car. We wouldn't have many inattentive drivers then.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

How, pray tell, do they think they are going to enforce such a law? I don't think you can tell how old someone is going the other way, wearing a helmet, and hopefully other gear. My guess is, that if you can find someone old enough to be the official "owner" of a bike you fancy, you would have to be a damn fool to ever get popped. Cops have better things to do. Don't they?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Welcome to the worker's paradise.