Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #41
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Euro Licensing Model Meets Resistance For Now.

LOL. I'm going to copy your post verbatim and give it out. That was art.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #42
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I don't believe that at all. I take from all ideologies instead of forcing one to fit for everyone. The state has its place - when you need groups to get something done that individuals wouldn't finish in a million years of bickering. The individual has its place when groupthink slows down what could be done by one person in a quarter of the time. The art is to know when each applies.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #43
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

That is the exception rather than the rule. For everyone 'overenforcement' that you can give evidence for, there are dozens of potential cases that fall by the wayside for sheer lack of manpower to enforce. Reagan chopped the budget for the EPA to a fifth of what it was before his reign and it has never recovered.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #44
dingling
Founding Member

Personally I wish they would fix the entire mess in America. The insurance companies are crooks (I have been hit 3 times by idiots and reamed by insurance companies); Americans DO NOT know how to drive. How many times have you seen some idiot going down the freeway while drinking coffee, talking on the cell phone, putting on make up, etc... Evertything but driving a car.

And if you drive a motorcycle the attitude is "so what, a biker got hit. Too bad. He takes his/her chances".

Why I like living in a foreign country so much.

dingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #45
dingling
Founding Member

You could not be more right. I left America years ago. Bewst thing I ever did.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 AM   #46
dingling
Founding Member

I hate to go political on a motorcycle site, but I cannot resist this one. I have been living in a foreign country for years. America has never SAVED anybody other than Europe. America is not a democracy nor free.

The numbers:

1 in 4 is mentally ill (worst in the ENTIRE world)

2,000,000 are in prison (Worst in the world)

23% live in poverty (worst of any modern industrail country)

MOST HATED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, and not for "your democracy"

50% of NY City school children do not finish high-school, CA it is 47% statewide

And to sum it up, MIGHTY America is getting its ass kicked by Iraq, that doesn't even have the population base of California. It is a truly pathetic country. That's why I left.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:30 AM   #47
SpitfireTriple
Founding Member

When we were 17 we all felt we could handle a superbike and ride fast and safe. Now we are older we realise we weren't safe. And superbikes are much faster than those available years ago.

There is a balance between freedom and safety and different people will argue that the balance point is in different places. There is an argument with which I would concurr for protecting children from their lack of maturity. But in any society that calls itself free there has to be a point where someone is considered adult enough to decide these things for himself. I would suggest either 18 or 21. After that, it should be none of the state's business what risks he chooses to take with his life.

I believe that in America your culture means that you are probably safe from the nanny state we increasingly have across the Atlantic. This is driven by the European Union, which is full of bossy eurocrats who love nothing better that to meddle in other people's lives.

Also, the careers of these grey men are driven by contrived targets (eg "road deaths down by 10% by 2010"). They will do anything that helps their progress on the gravy train. And their latest anti-motorcycling proposals will not be the end; they will not rest till they have eradicated motorcycling in Europe. Then they will turn to other dangerous pursuits. Horse-riding, perhaps, or fishing.

The worst of it all is that, as a nineteenth-century statesman once observed, "A country gets the government it deserves". What does this say about Britain - that it deserves no governemnt at all, just a bunch of foreign bureaucrats ordering our lives to perfection.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 AM   #48
cptaebphd
Founding Member

....and in which country do you live now?

cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #49
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Sadly, no, often they don't. At least not around here.

They sure cost us a lot of money doing...... whatever it is they do, however.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #50
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I was going to chime in with exactly this brilliant and wonderful idea (I'm serious) but you beat me to it.

I'll accept higher age, skill, and experience restrictions on big bikes, and high age restrictions on drinking, the day they impose foreign policy knowledge tests and high age requirements on military recruits.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote