Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #31
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: Euro Licensing Model Meets Resistance For Now.

thats an excellent point there. People tend to grow up quick in the military, especially now that everyones being sent to Iraq. I'd make an exception for them if I was writing the law. If you can ride a KLR 650 in the Marines (I think they still use KLR 650s) you can ride any damn bike you want as a civilian once youre out.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #32
Tadgh
Registered Member

Current irish legislation allows you to ride a moped at 16 and a bike up to 125cc or 33bhp at 17 . After two years experience and passing a fairly basic examination you are allowed to ride any capacity bike. this applies to all first time bikers, if at 40 you decide to get a bike you must start first on a 125cc/33bhp bike for two years. However the biggest deterrent to bike ownership over here is the cost of insurance which can sometimes run into thousands and also poor weather and road conditions, this is offset by the constant gridlock conditions in most towns for car users. you could call the 2 years on a 125 a cooling off period to see if you are really serious about riding or not
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #33
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

The principal reason we have such a gap between the rich and poor is because we have the rich. In the land of the Pink (or positively Red) and Proud Across the Pond, any sort of achievement is so severly quashed by punitive and confiscatory taxes that Mediocrity is effectively enforced as the chief virtue.

Why is union membership low? Not because the almighty gub'ment isn't doing enough to "convince" workers of the benefit to themselves and to the state. Rather, it is low, and still falling, because workers in "Amerikuh" retain their free will and no longer perceive sufficient benefit in continuing to send dues money to union bosses who make as much as many evil, dastardly CEOs.

And now, you pinko git, go say 45 Hail Mary's to St. Reagan, one for every degree in the interior angle of a Real American Motor Company engine in gratitude to God that America's "backwards" and "corrupt" ideas about freedom have kept not only itself, but much of the Western world, free from the predations of truly evil men; those who would just as soon gas their own people as tax them.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to ride off into the great American sunset, and with the sun in my eyes, try to dodge those wily taxes.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #34
LiionsRest
Registered Member

I agree the licensing should be fixed where it's broken in the areas causing the most harm. A graduated system for vehicles based on engine size makes the most sense to me. 16 year olds driving immense Hummers is just as bad as geriatrics in parking lots (or anywhere). I include motorcycles in that statment. If you're 16, sure you can get a motorcycle, but it's going to be small at first. If you want a bigger bike you have to be older and pass another test. Every reasonable person I've ever talked to that knows motorcycles agrees starting small and working one's way up is the right way to LEARN how to ride. Some will complain we shouldn't have the gummint so involved, and revoke all helmet laws while you're at it. I'd rather have people ALIVE and complaining than dead because their first bike was a Hayabusa they couldn't handle, or their head split open on the pavement.

Can't put up with the government interference? Buy a big plot of land, build your own road, and have fun.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:07 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Killed the EPS? Oh hohohohoho. Tell that to my wife's uncle who was threatened with having his house and savings attached by the EPA. It seems that some company was illegally dumping tires on his unimproved property in Wyoming. The EPA wasn't the least interested in punishing the wrong doers. No. Just go aqfter some old guy who can't afford millions for attornies.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Great idea! A 500Gamma as a first bike!

That'll seperate the men from the boys.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #37
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Of course you don't. Because y'all have forgotten that the state exists for the good of its citizens, and have chosen rather to believe that the people exist for the good of the state, which is just silly on its face.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #38
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

gunboat diplomacy. hehe. What about Robert Heinlan's idea that only veterans (not those currently on active duty, but veterans) should be 'Citizens' and thus have a vote.

The theory rests on the idea that the only voters should be those who have a vested interest in the governance of the nation (much like the Founders' idea about landowners) and that those are the veterans who have defended said nation, and seen with their own eyes that such nation actually has enemies, etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #39
drthompson65
Founding Member

Like everyone here I really have mixed emotions. I've been riding for 24 years. I got my license behind the back of my parents and kept my bikes at a friends house who's family was completely into motorcycles. Not till I moved out at 18 did my parents find out I had a motorcycle and that I've been riding for two years (road that is). I actually started to ride mini bikes and then dirt bikes at my grandparents farm. This happen when gas was cheaper than boarding a horse. Anyways when I got my license you had to test for CC level. 18 and under it was 125CC max and at 18 I took my 250CC exam and then at 21 I took my 500CC exam. Right after that it was completely done away with. While I agree we should have some "testing" system I do not think we need something as strict as ECU is purposing. I think you should have to take a MSF foundation course and PASS in order to purchase your first bike but then we need common logic at the dealerships (stealerships) who sell these bikes. We also need the big four and the others to produce bikes that are for beginners and look nice. Also the magazines whether is paper or on line really help fuel the fire with the articles they produce. Back in 2000 I picked up a CBR929RR and at the time it was the liter bike of the year in motorcyclist. They said that a "beginner" should not purchase this bike and by far it was one of my most favorite (and I never should have sold it - marriage and kids make you do STUPID things). Now here the new R6 by yamaha is producing the SAME HP numbers as my 929 did back in 2000. The technology is getting better and better. We need common sense, we need bikes for beginners, we need dealerships who aren't influenced by GREED who sell the correct bike to the correct rider. Living in America is ADVANCE CITIZENSHIP and it will FIGHT YOU all the way and you've got to want it bad. The good and bad are both there for the taking and you must use your own COMMON SENSE when going out into the world. In the last four years I've seen three deaths on bikes. One on a R1 and two are on R6 (one female rider). All of them went through MSF and all purchase bikes that where way beyond there riding skills. What was sad about this whole story is all riders where under 21 years of age, all riders received there MSF tag the weekend before they purchase there bikes and not a single one lived past the first weekend of bike ownership. I can't help to think of we had a "Step" type system for these young riders that maybe they would be alive today ..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #40
Gluge
Registered Member

It makes no sense to limit beginners to ridding things like RS250's but not KLR650's

My first street riding experience (I had ridden in the dirt for a lot time) was on a KLR650, my dad on his RS250, we traided off at one point for a little bit, and let me tell you the KLR650 was definatly easyer to ride, though not as fun!
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote