Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #71
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcyclist gets 30 years for causing trooper's death.

It seems to me that the system is "consistent" and "fair" as long as you're wealthy and/or "well connected". On other words, from my perspective, it is a bad system. Peace.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #72
tomk2
Founding Member

30 years at about $70K per year = Florida taxpayers TOTALLY FREAKING OWNED to the tune of $2.1 million dollars.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #73
volvoman5
Registered Member

Default Re: That's a good point on accidents, volvo

Maybe "didn't get enough sleep" was a bad choice of words on my part. I'm referring to the conscious decisions people make, not so much not enough sleep the night before, but more someone getting behind the wheel when they are feeling tired at that moment. The person who consciously turns up the radio and cracks the window on a cold day to "keep themselves alert"

Yes, I completely agree that there can be many variables, and that you can safely change the radio station in your car. All accidents can't be prevented (although it would be pretty funny to see a 5 HP corvette racing the highly modified 6 HP Civic) I just think many accidents happen due to no accident at all, but poor choices by drivers.
volvoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #74
eddyline
Founding Member

>Another interesting thing to look at is this: The courts are generally FAR TOO LENIENT in most cases. That is a fact

> proven over and over again, across the country.

Agreed, insofar as truly being the cause of another's death. Automobiles spring to mind: Janklow et al..

In some ways, the courts really shouldn't have to be as strict with motorcycles as with cars; after all, if a bike hits a car, more often than not the rider bears the brunt of the punishment immediately. However, if a car hits a bike, ...well, you know the rest.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #75
volvoman5
Registered Member

Can you be guilty of evading police if you don't know that they are there? I know you are still guilty of speeding, reckless driving, street racing, whatever...

I think most would agree that there is no way to know if the cop is following you at 150 MPH on a sport bike. Three reasons for this...

1. Mirrors... they don't work in a tuck, since your head is about 2 feet lower than how you normally ride. All you'd see is the sky (so I guess if there's a helicopter, you might see that)

2. Speed... at 100+ there is only one thing to worry about (if you want to live) and that's scan the road ahead and be anticipating every move

3. Noise... with 15k RPM and 150 MPH winds there's not a whole lot to hear. Though I've never tested it personally, I dont think that you can hear police sirens at that speed.

The reason I think that you can't be guilty until you know that you are being pursued is... if you were being trailed by an undercover cop for some period of time, but then once he turned his lights on you pulled over, no one would say you were guily of running. You were though, running from the police, you just didn't know it.
volvoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #76
eddyline
Founding Member

If the Porsche exists they need to find that fellow as well.

I've had people in all types of vehicles pass me by and slow down in front of me when I'm on the highway. If I try to pass them to resume highway speed, they speed up, prohibiting me from passing them. I usually try to move as many lanes away as possible when this happens, but it has become so frequent that there's just not enough road.

The guy in the Porsche may have been chasing Williams. It doesn't excuse such a speed, but when you get someone on your a$$ at triple digits, you do your best to get away, and on the highway, the safest 'away' is usually straight ahead.

We don't know enough about this situation, and we never will.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #77
cls
Registered Member

I suspect so. Shame for all concerned. We all go overboard a bit, now and then, but you gotta' keep it reasonable...most of the time, anyway.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #78
cls
Registered Member

Agreed, it's a legitimate point. Still the best system around, though. It's what we have. I'm all for changes for the better.

Have a good one.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #79
cls
Registered Member

True story, but you still have to be careful w/the idea of "impartial." We know it doesn't always play out, but you have to keep the principle in place. Car or bike, illegal is illegal. Point well taken, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #80
rob6118
Founding Member

Sorry but getting pulled over 3 times in a week by the same state trooper who pulled a gun on a friend of mine for doing 15 over on his bike. Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I really am dealing with a frothing at the mouth rookie. Buddy has filed a complaint/lawsuit against the cop for the gun incident and I get to go to court for the series of tickets. Combine that with riding my bike as I do my appraisals (real estate) involves riding about 200 miles a day and I get followed for 5-10 miles at a time on average once a day. I've never had any of those experiences while driving my pickup and it seems that that amount of time is excessive for simply running my plates.

Rob
rob6118 is offline   Reply With Quote