Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Motorcyclist gets 30 years for causing trooper's death.

The trooper did use poor judgement....which directly contributed to his death. No chase, no death, regardless of what the biker did. He had a 'no-chase' rule. There isn't really any other available info. The biker sped, the officer disobeyed his own department standards by chasing, and he died. I guess they can't pin negligent homicide on the dead guy, so they pinned it on the one that lived. I guess funnier things have happened in court. Just look at the O.J. fiasco.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #32
cota
Registered Member

Wow! A Moslem fundamentalist point of view.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #33
cota
Registered Member

I wonder what the guy driving the sports car got?
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #34
maladg
Registered Member

Subject of police chases needs more attention. Ever talk to Loss Control or Claims Adjusters that work for insurors with Public Sector Depts?

Bottom line: lowest of the low. Not necessarily police in particular, but Public Sector in general.

Public Sector= second rate mgmt, second string ee's and no backbone with respect to playing hardball on specious liability claims.

Few yrs ago had a nice meeting with the ****** people re Psych profiling of prospective hires for sensitive positions with much public contact. {my 2 centavos worth - profiling is helpful but no be all and end all} I'd just come off 9 wks local Grand Jury. I ask my ******* contact about psych profiling of police hires as I'd seen some "interesting" behavior, attitudes and flat out sorry a$$ed work by maybe 25% of the police I saw during the 9 wks and 400+ cases. He related to me that over the last 10 yr or so (this was in '95), they'd seen a significant shift in police recruit tests. Indices for public service/altruism/obligation to community service, etc., had dropped. **** indicated that the downward trend started with guys born in the late 60's - the trend was noted to be accelerating....

Be warned....the game has changed. Used to be we had to put up with petty harassment. Get on the wrong side of the wrong gov person and things can get real serious real fast.

Be careful out there!

And NO!!!, I won't reveal who ******* is. Either the name of the company or the analyst that was doing the briefing.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #35
cls
Registered Member

Much funnier (If they are, in fact, funny...) things have happened. W/great regularity, unfortunately.

Our main difference is, I believe, you feel the biker has/d no responsibility because the Trooper made a poor call. While he certainly did, the biker still carries a burden of fault. Just because the Trooper messed up, doesn't mean the biker is relieved of his part. His illegal act initiated a series of events.

In addition, though the Trooper made a bad call, I certainly hope his heart was in the right place. Cops...If they do something, they shouldn't have, or they did it wrong. They're just be self-righteous, over-bearing buttheads. If they don't do anything, they're just picking up a check and mooching off the public. I hope he responded in respect for his job and in concern for the public safety. It matters, even if not in a legal respect.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #36
sconley
Founding Member

When did I "agree to live under the system?" I wasn't aware I was given the opportunity to agree to it? Did I sign a contract or something? I'm sorry, but this "crime" is simply assinine... As noted before, the trooper didn't follow procedure for a high speed pursuit and he is responsible for the outcome of his own poor decisions, not some guy going a buck fifty or even 300... Give him a reckless driving ticket and let him go. And anyone who can't understand that there really is no need to look behind you when you are traveling at that speed, has never gone that speed... But that is irrelelvent anyway, so what if he saw the fireball in a wind-buffeted rearview mirror and turned back to roast marshmellows in the fiery wreck, it doesn't matter. The guy decided he wanted to be a trooper (why, I have no idea), then he decided he wanted to endanger his own life to give a guy a speeding ticket (why, I have no idea)... He knew what he was getting into... "I say, let 'em crash." To try and make him look like a hero by giving some poor bloke a 30 year sentence in prison doesn't, in my eyes, make the pursuit more valid... In fact, the overzealousness of the court system and our pathetic citizens to find reason in this officer's death highlights how idiotic he truly was acting... I saw someone write that over-used cliche about evolution and darwinism but it was mentioned in regards to the speeding motorcyclist... Did you not realize who was naturally selected here?

"It is not the responsibility of the government or the legal system to protect a citizen from himself." – Supreme Court Justice Casey Percell

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."

sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #37
desertbilly
Founding Member

Whether you like it or not, felony murder is a long-established legal doctrine in the U.S. You rob a bank and some geezer drops dead from a heart attack because of it, you're stuck with murder 1.

You don't like the result, don't commit the crime. The trooper's family didn't like having to bury him, either.

Curiously, felony murder and involuntary manslaughter are the only felonies that don't require an intent to do the act (mens rea), as I recall.

desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #38
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

"And anyone who can't understand that there really is no need to look behind you when you are traveling at that speed, has never gone that speed..." Yep, Yep, Yep I have never thought to look back at those speeds on a bike (except you'd better on the Autobahn if you're gonna pull out into the fast lane...). A regular quotable feast, Well Said.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #39
cls
Registered Member

Sorry, misdirected my response. See a few notes down...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #40
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

"Just because the Trooper messed up, doesn't mean the biker is relieved of his part."

How about this? Just because the Biker messed up, doesn't mean the Trooper is relieved of his part.

30 Years for Speeding!!! What did Jerkolow get?

HELLO!!! The EMPEROR IS NAKED!!!

Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote