Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Motorcyclist gets 30 years for causing trooper's death.

Look at the label on a can of weed killer concentrate. The label will tell you that if you mix it incorrectly or store it incorrectly you can go to prison for something like 5 years.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #22
clively
Founding Member

Sad to say that accidents claim more officer's lives than anything else. I did not read the blog or the new part of the story since I hate Monday morning quarterbacks. Yes the officer should have obeyed policy and no, the turd should not have fled on the motorcycle. Both did what they wanted to do and the result occured. If I was that officer I might have chased him and I might not have but if I had an accident due to poor driving or equipment failure then I would not want another held responsible since I know my equipment's and my own ability under those dynamics. The turd should be held accountable for any other charges and punished severely since he could have killed any innocent bystander like one of our families.

It really disturbs me to see comments from posters saying the cops harass them by following them or cops monitoring their activities for miles waiting for a violation. This may happen every once in a while but it rarely ever does. It is usually that you are paranoid and any time a cop gets behind you, you automatically assume the prick is after you and you glance between your speedometer and rearview mirror with a furrowed brow. Then you get upset cause you accidently weave into the other lane a foot or two and then get mad cause you gave the cop an excuse to stop you. But the cop ends up turning into the donut parking lot, instead of pulling you over and you think, darn straight you wont pull me over cause I wouldv'e had your badge. This may be an extreme example but true. If your local law enforcement is biased against your group ask yourself why. Is it because you hang out at the Burger Barn swapping "I hate crooked pigs stories" while the squids tear up the town? Have you actually gone to your local department to see what they do or find out what the communitie's concerns are? Have you told your agency that you appreciate what they or send a greeting card from your mc club? Some around here even offer to help, knowing they really can't but the offer is still there. I drive to Florida quite often and I don't commit any type of violation in Louisiana or Mississippi. But I also know cops follow folks to check their license plates to see if they are stolen and bike thefts are very high, which cause officers to follow people to see the tags and run them. So chill out and don't do anything wrong and you have nothing to worry about. If you get harassed anyway then file a complaint and sue, the department doesn't want a bad officer anyway and it will give the dept. the ability to get rid of their bad officer. End of rant...
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sorry, but you can't seperate the sentencing and the role, because fault is being determined. The cop was operating outside the boundary of his duty. That makes HIM liable for the outcome. If the cop killed a bystander instead of killing himself, does the biker still bear that responsibility too? Case law says he doesn't. The cop does, and towns get sued for millions every year because if it. That is why many departments do not chase any more. A crime being committed does not give free reign of enforcement to the police. They have to operate within the rules. The fact that the cop died instead of killing another does nothing to mitigate that his own actions led to his death. Nothing more. If he followed the rules, he lived. He didn't, and died. I'd bet anything if that if you swap the biker with a car driver running, there isn't even a case, other than speeding.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"It really disturbs me to see comments from posters saying the cops harass them by following them or cops monitoring their activities for miles waiting for a violation. This may happen every once in a while but it rarely ever does."

I hope you don't really believe that. I don't have enough space here for tales of police harassment that I have experienced personally. I'm sure it was all in my mind though. Where do you live?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #25
mii54ws
Founding Member

I agree; if one decides to race a sports car, the adult in one's head should know when to quit. A trooper giving chase is definitely the "when". Life ain't fair; it's up to us to chose when the odds are not in our favor and act accordingly. Children in an adult's body sometimes have problems doing that. It's called the Darwin theory of selective evolution.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:13 AM   #26
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Round and round we go and where do we stop? 30 years for speeding. There is so much here that I assume this is an intentional flame bait rant:

"If your local law enforcement is biased against your group ask yourself why. Is it because you hang out at the Burger Barn swapping "I hate crooked pigs stories" while the squids tear up the town? Have you actually gone to your local department to see what they do or find out what the communitie's concerns are? Have you told your agency that you appreciate what they or send a greeting card from your mc club?"

"I did not read the blog or the new part of the story since I hate Monday morning quarterbacks."

"It really disturbs me to see comments from posters saying the cops harass them by following them or cops monitoring their activities for miles waiting for a violation."

? ? ?

Soooooo.......... You agree that 30 years for speeding is excessive, that there are bad Cops (although we agree most are not) and "So chill out and don't do anything wrong and you have nothing to worry about.". We agree on two out of three and I guess that ain't bad.

30 Years for Speeding!!!???

Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:26 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

I had that happen in the '80's. There was a big Bandido gun running bust in Bellingham, consequently every time I fired up my bike I had a member of "Auburn's Finest" sitting at the end of my driveway writing BS tickets for "tail light to low" (on a stock Superglide fender,) or "Handlebars to high", (no law in WA. defining handlebar height) "Loud Pipes" (well kinda') Just general harassment. They finally gave it up when I got a lawyer and supoena'd the WSP vehical inspector who Green Tagged the bike when I built it.

The last thing you want to do is get on the wrong side of a bunch of small town cops. Blaming this guy for the cops failure to follow his own departmental guidelines is par for the course. I can see charging him with felony evading but it wasn't his fault the cops bought cheap tires.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Deep breathes now Longo....happy place.. happy place.. ...

Better now?

We all know the Police only arrest and harrass criminals, if you're just riding your bike they won't mess with you, Small town cops who watch too many "B" rated biker flicks don't really belive that every Harley has 20lbs of crank in the Primary Case... They don't really think you have an AR15 in your back pocket, they just strip you half naked in cuffs, at gun point on the side of the road for your safety....

It's all in your head bro, the Police are your friends....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:57 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They weren't really harassing you, ya paranoid sucka!!!! )
Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #30
cls
Registered Member

I reckon we'll have to disagree, then. The role of the Trooper is a professional decision, not directly related to whether or not one is responsible for their actions and the consequences it may have on others. The Trooper used poor judgement. I never indicated otherwise. The biker still is accountable. He initiated w/a grossly illegal action.

As far as court precedent, they change every day. Different judges, juries, attorneys, and "totality of the circumstances" change things in a heartbeat. Again, I have a hard time "nay-saying," when I don't have available all of the info. the court in this case did.

If the same would have happened w/a car involved, or no, is only conjecture. Words...I can venture a guess, as well.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote