Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
speedslug
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcyclist gets 30 years for causing trooper's death.

"were it not for the actions of Donald Williams"

think about it. and no monday morning QB's either. it's how the real world works.

speedslug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
sirken
Registered Member

Obviously getting 30 years for speeding is ludicrous, but did you read the rest of the Campbell blog???? This Pat Campbell guy is a complete lunatic! Who is actually reading this crap anyway!???
sirken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 AM   #13
cls
Registered Member

I don't give a rat's fanny if you live in New Orleans, or not. If the police are acting w/in the performance of their duty ("under color of law"), running should be an automatic felony. If you can't live reasonably under the system , get out. It's far from perfect, but it's the system under which you agreed to live. Do what you can to make it better or leave it, but don't try to "live above it."

This picking out specific incidents to justify inexcusable actions is for the birds. Just because someone screwed the pooch in one instance, be it the police, public, or otherwise, is no rationale for poor judgement. "Two wrongs don't make a right," as they used to say.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:45 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Donald Williams should have ran the officer over in his car. He wouldn't have to spend one day in jail, and maybe get away with a $200 fine. All he would need to do is talk on his cell phone during the incident to be sure to get off easy.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 AM   #15
bmwdude
Founding Member

My question is this. Who did this biker boy have for a lawyer? The same fellow who represented the RosenbergÂ’s?( Edward Kuntz?) This smacks of kangaroo court to me!

This trooper being killed is truly a tragedy, but it happened while he was letting his blue uniformed ego get the better of him. As I understand it, he was violating his departments procedures in chasing the bike! If he had simply done as his orders dictate and used his radio. None of this would have happened!

Yes, the biker was wrong! But how does that justify the police almost killing a third motorist (the 24 year old in the Audi, Thomas Evanchik) that was hit by the trooper during this pursuit?

Marshal Wyatt Erp is back in town folks! Judge Roy Bean was obviously presiding?

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of having the cops NOT chase is because shyt like this happens.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:10 AM   #17
anrajala
Founding Member

Hmmm... whether running the cops should be a felony or not, is debatable. What is not debatable is that excessive punishments like this are a real threat to everyone. People must expect reasonable sentencing when they screw up. Be that speeding, running the cops, DUI, rear ending, pumping someone off the bridge, driving over a wheelchair or whatever. Life should not be walking a tightrope where a misstep puts you away for 30 years. Like it was in communist Russia or nazi Germany.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:12 AM   #18
rob6118
Founding Member

.........Another motorcyclist that has to deal with FHP stalking him every day. Oh and I have to go tack on another ticket for no tag light from a frothing at the mouth rookie FHP officer who for some reason may have a serious hard on for motorcyclists now. I ride my bike for work and its getting pretty ridiculous here in Orlando having to deal with some of the officers because of incidents like these. Not saying that 30 years is justified, just *****ing because its stuff like this that makes every FHP officer and his brother follow me for miles on end when I'm riding completely sanely. Nothing like riding in Orlando rush hour traffic worried about that FHP camaro that has been hanging 10 feet behind your rear tire for the last 10 miles.
rob6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:15 AM   #19
cls
Registered Member

No need for correction. As I understood it, the commentary was to be on the sentencing of the biker, not on the role of the Trooper. That would be a whole different subject (And one I'm glad to comment on, if you like.). The biker bears responsibility. That's my point.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

Being in a family of lawyers, cops and bondsmen I have this to say. Regardless of circumstance if you evade the police in any situation the cops should have the option to use deadly force to stop you from doing harm to the general public. You may disagree, but as I see it once a cop has to "chase" any person that person should be charged with Felony Evasion. Sorry that the cops equipment failed and he lost his life and I'm equally sorry that the bone head that the cop was chasing was charged with the man slaughter charge and is going to do 30 yrs. However, the motorcyclist was wrong in fleeing and involuntary man slaughter would be the correct end result from such stupidity. The cop should have known that his pursuit vehicle never had a chance at chatching the motorcyclist in a flat out speed contest. Cops mistake. I still stand by my arguement that the motorcyclist do the time, however.