Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Possible legislation aimed at older riders

first post!

I agree about the cadillac drivers .. although I'm 52 and drive a 999... maybe I need a refresher too?

nah!!
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Being required to show a valid motorcycle license when you purchase a bike is just common sense, and it would apply equally to all riders of any age.

Also this article mentions higher-displacement engines being linked to many crashes, which I think, has been cited by other studies. Maybe we should have different licenses for liter-class and above to certify that the rider (of any age) can handle the big machines.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
ofreen
Registered Member

This is what you call veja du. We really have seen this before. This was posted on Nov 13, too. It's not any more intersting this time, either.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Thes guys are going to have a chuckle when I show up for class on my Supermoto!
Old 11-27-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
KLRer
Founding Member

Looks like same article posted a couple weeks ago, or closely related. Washington state in both cases. In general I havent seen any data showing that older riders, say 50+ get in more serious accidents than younger riders, say less than 25. In fact, my sense is that youngsters striving to prove their manhood on crotch rockets are being killed off as fast as any mc group. Its like in the Old West, where 17 year olds were eager to strap on their six shooters but often didnt live very long afterwards.

KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Why in the hell...

So why in the hell can you purchase a street motorcycle without a drivers license?

You can't purchase a car without one!!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:26 AM   #7
tomk2
Founding Member

Yeah but at least the 25 YOs make good organ donors. What good is a heart or a liver from some obese 50 YO Harley kook?

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
TomSmith
Founding Member

It's the old car drivers that should be taken off the road. About a half mile from my house a few years ago, an old woman ran over a motorcyclist (from behind) who had stopped for a red light. She realized she had run over something, so she put her car in reverse and backed over his body. Be very afraid of cars driven by old people.

Since I am only 72, I am still a young punk - I have a bike license add-on to my regular drivers license. Just help me get on and give me a push start.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Really Old Riders

except that the premeditated murderers aka drunk drivers account for a large swath of the 18-50 crowd. And anybody under 25 tends to think they are immortal be they on drugs or not. I agree that the various DMV's wrongly permit many old folks to drive when they have neither the mental processing capacity/speed or the reflexes, or the eyesight to conduct themselves reasonably safely.

But what are you going to do? Turn the foggies out of their houses and incarcerate them in 'communities' where they can be bussed to and from the grocery store etc?

I think the number of deaths resulting from advanced age or sudden onset medical problems is vanishingly small. Yes, I'm sure the numbers in FL are higher than most other regions but it's just a localized issue.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
roadrash1
Founding Member

Default Re: Really Old Riders

If you were to pick one reason why we can't have some kind of testing for older car drivers, here it is.......they vote! Like in droves! That keeps the "lawmakers" from doing the right thing. Leave it to politicians to fix a problem, a real problem, and you will be waiting a long, long time. I think everyone should be tested periodically. There are so many bad drivers out there, it is amazing..................
roadrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote