Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Possible legislation aimed at older riders

Why not have them pass a physical too. But wait, some of you bloated younsters might have trouble with that. You want to save lives, ban all motor vehicles from the highways. "If just one life is saved"... bullpoop.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #22
SRMark
Founding Member

Many of those 65+ grew up on stick shift cars without power steering. My grandmother in law could park her '67 Ford Fairlane three-speed-on-the-column-with-no-power-steering as well as any one could park. And she was doing that at 80 and she weighed all of 100 lbs. But I like your thought.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:29 AM   #23
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

1) given that motorcyclists of all kinds are intrinsically less of a risk to the public than automobiles, this legislation is poorly aimed, probably because they know that elderly motorcyclists are a very small subset and it's going to be easy to sacrifice them at the altar of political gain.

2) By default, it takes far better faculties to ride around on a motorcycle than drive an automobile, and certainly more ability than the vast majority of the blue-hairs driving their Mercury Medicare sleds posess, so any elderly person doing it will either do it good enough, and will probably be an extremely low risk to everyone else (keeping in mind #1). Otherwise, he/she won't be around very long to pose a danger. If we're going to restrict anyone based on age, they should start with automobile drivers (not only to old people suck at driving but they tend to drive big, dangerous cars, not tiny little motorcycles.)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #24
Hipshot
Registered Member

I would agree to retaking a motorcycle safety class every five years if the Dept. of Motor Vehicles would quit issuing licenses to totally incompetent drivers, and not all of those are over 50,60, or 70. I had an old aunt who was legally blind in one eye and couldn't see much out of the other, and she got a license every time, no questions asked. I would follow her down the street, and she would be weaving in and out of lanes, running over curbs, and taking minutes to make a turn because she had to look, turn the wheel a bit, move forward a few feet, and look again to make any correctons. I know its a big step to make these old folks dependent on others for transportation, but every month or so, one of them turns in front of another vehicle they didn't see, causing a big wreck. I almost ran over one of these when driving a tanker truck with 7,000 gallons of Amoco Super Premium in the tank. The wreck would have wiped out that whole part of town. The old biddy never even knew I had swerved to the other lane to keep from hitting her! She couldn't figure out why I stopped and was screaming at her. I demanded to see her license. She didn't have one. But then there's the younger ones also. The ones who think its unmanly to use a turn signal, or that their pecker will all off if they let someone pass them.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:02 AM   #25
SaturnV
Registered Member

I don't know how it works where you're at, but where I've lived, the DMV doesn't supply a motorcycle for the driving test. So, in order to get a licence, you need a bike... If you need a licence to buy a bike, then I'm not sure how one is ever supposed to start motorcycling...

-S5
SaturnV is offline   Reply With Quote