Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-02-2001, 01:43 AM   #1
MoMo
Founding Member

Default what?

let me just say, for all us lunkheads out here who are still waiting for the SuperSport comparo........HUGH?
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2001, 02:19 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Default So why bother with bikes?

You know why. We're an easy target. Seems to me that all the two strokes in the US pollute less than the outdoor barbecues in SoCal.

Pete P.
Old 02-02-2001, 02:23 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Default It's not the EPA!

I don't think the EPA really cares what we race at MX. Face, it, there are a bunch of riders who think four-strokes are easier to ride, hook up better, and sound better. They're the ones steering MX and off-roading into four stroke territory, not the EPA. (BTW, I'm not one of them.)

We have met the enemy, and it is us.
Old 02-02-2001, 02:37 AM   #4
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Suggested Comments to the EPA

Nice to see another street-stroker chime in! As the pilot of an RZ350, I

have to admit I relish the fact that I can ride it around on the streets today,

fully legal... the shriek it makes when wound up never ceases to catch the

cagers off guard and induce that characteristic, open-mouthed scowl towards

me The troubling thing is that I'm afraid the days of riding it around are

numbered. I expect soon enough, someone will try to ban 2-stroke oil as

a means to put an end to the 'legacy' bikes out there that they can't rightfully

ban directly. Or, if they can't ban the oil, they will affix huge taxes to it.

All to save ..what was it... 1/2 of 1% of pollutants?? Go after the -real-

sources of heavy pollution or admit this is all political posturing and shut

the he** up about it... and leave my bike alone!!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 02:38 AM   #5
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default I bet they forgot to put it up, THANKS! haha, be patient! nt

RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:16 AM   #6
VFRider
Registered Member

Just one more reason why we ALL must join the AMA. The only way we can protect our rights is to present one large voting-block to our Legislature. Face it, votes count and little else (huge sums of PAC funds not withstanding). No Senator, Congressman or local Representative gives a damn about about us until we can present a unified voice with enough votes to kick their ass out of office.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 04:16 AM   #7
Sparky
Founding Member

YEah..what he said. I've got an RZ350 also...what a blast.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 04:20 AM   #8
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I'm not surprised bikes contribute so little to pollution. One Terex Titan dump truck working a strip mine pollutes more in a single day than an entire supercross series does all year.

That said, I think everyone working for the EPA should lead by example, and commute to work on bicycles.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 04:42 AM   #9
lexs
Founding Member

I'll gladly add my voice to the I-Hate-SUVs club but I do think I should point out that, other than CO2*, the common statement "burn more gas make more pollution" is not true. To sight an extreme example Mr. Obnoxious with the loud RD350 above probably gets at least 25 MPG, more likely 30 to 35 MPG. I guarantee you he is putting out from 5 to 200 times the pollutants (it varies with individual pollutant) emitted by the road hog in the Navigator getting 13 MPG.

I'd also like to second or third the comments above about getting older cars off the road, the only problem is that such rules need to be written very carefully and bureaucrats like the EPA are not known for subtlety. You want to get the '74 Pinto that burns a quart of oil every 200 miles but not the clean, sweat running '68 GTO, not to mention the '64 Electra Glide or '75 Norton 850. Lets also add the safety factor, that Pinto was a death trap the day is was built (even by 1974 standards) and its brakes, shocks, steering, etc. are probably completely worn out by now.

*Carbon Dioxide may contribute to the greenhouse effect that may be causing the earth to warm unnaturally. It was not tracked as a pollutant until fairly recently.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 06:09 AM   #10
Coldrider
Founding Member

WHAT?!? Have the people making the rules follow them? Are you nuts? Then the President couldn't have his performance tuned limo that can out accelerate a 'Vette. And all those elected "officials" that have such infinite wisdom to decide we need to be protected from ourselves would not have individual limos and jets to get them anywhere they want to go on last minute notice. Aren't these pinheads aware that it is no longer the US that is polluting everything, it is the rest of the world that has next to no pollution controls? Who wants a dull electric car that has next to no range beyond the commute to work, unless you live 100 miles from work which some people do. Where is the electricity for these cars supposed to come from? Guess the electric companies are going to have to stoke the fires with more coal and other fossil fuels and pollute even more.

I feel better now.
Coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote