Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle deaths rise after repeal of Fla. helmet laws.

no way dude....
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
bboule
Founding Member

The Death RATE increased 50%.

Oh well, it must just be there are 50% more riders in Florida. Or Middle aged people toddling around on 7000lb Hogs with no MSF. Or teenagers on 500rwhp Gixxas doing standups at 375mph. Or Manatees. Manatees?

Blame the Manatees!
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
redbandit_1
Founding Member

First let me state that i wear a helmet 100% of the time, riding a sport bike does not feel right without a helmet.

However i do believe that if you are an adult it is your right to ride helmetless as you please.

For the freedom fighters, go ahead just make sure you have full disability insurance to cover your cost, or accept that your family or estate will cover any catastrophic cost needed to rehab you

smart alec, its the helmetless rider who ends up vegetative with the feeding tube- they dont all die, those that survive have severe brain trauma even from minor low speed crashes
redbandit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
redbandit_1
Founding Member

First let me state that i wear a helmet 100% of the time, riding a sport bike does not feel right without a helmet.

However i do believe that if you are an adult it is your right to ride helmetless as you please.

For the freedom fighters, go ahead just make sure you have full disability insurance to cover your cost, or accept that your family or estate will cover any catastrophic cost needed to rehab you

"In a lot of the accidents, even if they had a helmet on, it doesn't save them," Eveland said. "And sometimes I think even with a helmet I might not want to live. I don't want to be lying in a bed with a feeding tube"

smart alec, its the helmetless rider who ends up vegetative with the feeding tube- they dont all die, those that survive have severe brain trauma even from minor low speed crashes
redbandit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 19 states require motorcyclists to wear helmets. Only three have no requirements: Colorado, Illinois and Iowa."

I see. So there are 22 states in the country. Gee.. wish I was good at gemography.
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I commute into a state that doesn't have a helmet law but has a seat belt law. Does anybody besides me think this is rather silly?
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It's nice to see editorializing in the first sentence. Why wait until the end?

Can anyone guess what this reporter's angle was before she wrote the story? Hmmmmmmm
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

Uh, dumby, that is mapography, duh.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
nesbit
Founding Member

If we're looking for issues to confront with regard to stampeding governmental intrusiveness and paternalism, the mandatory helmet issue is very low on the priority scale, though a highly visible and symbolic issue with many bikers. That having been said, we should appose mandatory helmet laws on principle, while simultaneously ALWAYS acknowledging that the human head is a very delicate structure that deserves some common sense anticipatory self-defense. As a retired paramedic, I can attest to the frequently irreversable trauma that not having worn a helmet produced. Does anyone really NEED some save-the-world from itself bureaucrat educating us on the importance of protecting our bodies when maneuvering at speed thru hordes of 4,000 pound cages? Not if your brain is functional. It's all about personal survival and being able to ride again after the accident. With a broken brain that is extremely unlikely. WEAR A HAT!!!!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Fenton
Founding Member

I need to check back later for:

"Yep, George is killing them over seas and Jeb is getting them here. Jeb wants everyone in a car, more oil. The Bush family all have 666 behind their ears....."
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote