Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #41
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle deaths rise after repeal of Fla. helmet laws.

Excellent point. Hey I heard that only 30% of all reporters have Journalism degrees and only 45% have ever taken a Journalism class. I took a journalism class as an elective. Something you rarely see is the summary first then more detail method (something you see in the WSJ and NYT) If there is a summary it is usually in the form of the reporters opinion like this story. This story jumps around alot as well.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #42
frytz
Registered Member

Everyone should be given the freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet/seatbelt or not.

When you buy life insurance, they ask if you smoke, or scuba dive, or race autos etc. Then classify you according to the risk, based upon historical data, and charge a suitable premium. Just do the same for vehicular safety. If I wish to ride helmetless, then I buy health insurance that covers me when I crash without a helmet. I pay higher premiums, and am covered. If I choose to buy insurance without the "helmetless/seatbeltless rider", then I pay out of my pocket when I am found post crash with no helmet. When my bank account is empty, then stop treating me.

I'd be most interested to know how much of a premium the actuaries would advise the insurance companies to add for those not wearing helmets. With that information, we could choose to buy the privelege of riding without a helmet, without burdening the healthcare system...

...and he world becomes a happy smiley place!
frytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #43
bross
Registered Member

I don't know about you guys in the states, but up here now, if you ski out of bounds and get lost, they charge you directly for the rescue and if they use a helicopter the price goes way up. I've seen a few in the paper, $5000 to I think the highest was $15,000. I agree with this and think it's totally fair. Go ahead and ski out of bounds for your thrill, but if you screw up you're gonna pay.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #44
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"When my bank account is empty, then stop treating me." Like that is going to happen. The state will keep you alive. Unless you are on a respirator or a feeding tube you are not going die and the state will keep you alive.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #45
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Those riders are only for life insurance payout, not health insurance BIG Difference. I have a rider when I pilot a small plane my life insurance won't pay out.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #46
bmwdude
Founding Member

Haven't we debated this one to death?

People do really dumb things.

The folks who will ride without protective gear. Are the same ones who cruise main St. USA on any summer night wearing Bozoesque weight lifter pants a muscle shirt and flip flops. They are the ones who are willing to spend hundreds even thousands on a leather outlaw costume, but not a dime on real protective gear.

These folks are out for the whole motorcycle show. That's what they want, and that's OK by me.

My only hope is that they can accept the outcome of their choices if things go bad.

People will always be dumb, laws won't change that.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #47
Drahcir
Founding Member

Absolutely!

Taking full responsibility is something that I am teaching my 3 year old - and her dirtbike has a kick starter not electric start. (Once she can tie her shoe while balancing on the other foot, she can ride with the rest of us, and wear her armor!

Be responsible for yourself first, and then rag on others.

Wearing basic safety gear should be automatic, not a requirement mandated by the state!

If someone wants to go out and ride naked, then they should not be given "free" healthcare, simple and real as that. If you go out shooting and kill yourself, you better have family or money to handle the burial too!

Drahcir
Drahcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #48
crevans
Founding Member

Not to be rude, but how on earth does anyone sober and paying attention hit a cow, especially on a 4 lane highway? I've been on tons of two lanes out in the middle of nowhere that were "free range" with no fences and cows all over the place. They just stand there in the middle of the road and stare at you. Just slow down and treat them like a wall of meat you need to avoid. They won't move one way or the other. The droppings they leave on the road are more dangerous.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #49
kanani
Registered Member

never mind that the money came from the state in the first place (via taxation of the state's citizens)
kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #50
obandoj
Founding Member

I personally do not have a problem with the lobotomites getting smashed and becoming dead or worse, a burden to society.

To me and lots of my friends who are long time riders, enthusiasts, fanatics and well trained and dressed for the ride motorcyclists, the problem is what this people do for the image and the future of all of us who have made the choice to embrace our passion for the motorcycle. Let's not forget the fact that there are many forces at work out there, who would like nothing better than to outlaw bikes.

Freedom is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote