Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #21
jeffs
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle deaths rise after repeal of Fla. helmet laws.

This tired argument can be applied to ANYTHING. The danger is, that more and more people are buying into it.

Helmet laws, seatbelt laws, all the kids running around in bike helmets now... Yes, everyone may be safer, but it's a downward spiral. They'll continue to regulate things "for the good of the people" until everyone decides one day that it's just too dangerous and you have to stop all of your hobbies completely.

What, you just want to save money? How about you drop comprehensive (crash) coverage on motorcycles. Not that I'm advocating it, but the bikes the squids wreck each year is costing me a considerable amount in motorcycle insurance premiums.

Want to save even more healthcare money? Get every third person in the country off their anti-depressants, sleeping pills, and every other "luxury" drug on the market. Since you don't really care about freedom of choice, and it saves money, you should be all for it right?...

If you REALLY cared about saving lives you would promote or mandate proper training. You/they really couldn't care less about how many stupid bikers die though. I'm just wondering when we all signed on to let the insurance companies rule this country.

jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 AM   #22
obandoj
Founding Member

Freedoms, rights and stupidity are totally different things, you wear a helmet, you hit your head, you live. The alternative is self explanatory!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:27 AM   #23
draffety
Registered Member

or Illinois, or Kansas... I am sure there are a lot of others but those ar two that I have lived in.
draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:03 AM   #24
jeffs
Founding Member

Oh, so we're outlawing stupid behavior now?

Well, personally, I think commuting in an H2 is stupid - and I know a lot of people think motorcycling in general is stupid - and there's a lot of people who think premarital sex is stupid...

Well, technically, immoral, not stupid - but that assumes organized religion which is prettymuch always stupid too.

----------

My point is, that you need to think things through. Noone cares unless it's directly effecting them. You'd always wear your helmet anyway so what do you care right? Ban, or heavily tax cigarettes?... I don't smoke. Put a luxury tax or prohibitive law on something you do care about though and people will be screaming. When the time comes, think back to when you sat back and allowed it (or wished for it) to happen to other people.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 AM   #25
DMuns
Founding Member

Another retired paramedic here, back on a bike after many years out, I wear a helmet 100% of the time; plus riding jacket and gloves in anything but the hottest summer weather. Visor up and sunglasses if I want wind in my face.

-- No piece of safety equipment is a guarantee, it does give you an increased margin of survivability and decreases the chance of a serious injury in an accident.

-- 21 years in Emergency Medical Services and well over 90% of the motorcycle accidents I responded to, fatal or otherwise, were NOT on highways. To those who only wear a brain bucket on the highway - you are fooling yourselves!

-- far and away the most common type MO accident is a relatively low speed crash on local streets. Let's look at the mechanics - the bike starts going down, rider does their best to get clear but the bike catches a leg or foot as it drops. This accounts for the high number of lower leg injuries. As the bike finishes dropping it takes that leg with it. Human body is flexible and acts like a rope. There is a whipping action that smacks the rider into the road. The end of that whip is the head. If you're coming down sideways, your shoulder may impact first and absorb some of the force. Regardless, your head will hit the pavement. This is exactly the accident where a helmet makes the greatest difference between serious injury and something you can talk about later.

-- first MO accident I went to as a green EMT, guy driving wore a helmet, his girlfriend in back didn't. Rural road, rising dirt bank, police estimated their speed at 40-45mph. They went wide on the curve and highsided. Fieldstone wall about 10 feet from the road, both hit it. His helmet split into 4 or 5 large pieces. he had a moderate concussion and broken shoulder, and was discharged from the hospital the following day. The girl's head looked like his helmet, 4 or 5 pieces. That was the first time I ever saw the inside of a person's skull and it left an indelible memory. Completely avoidable death of 24y/o woman.

-- I've been in a lot of brain injury facilties and seen too many otherwise healthy 20-30 year old guys with "the ligts on and no one home." Modern health care can keep those shells alive for decade after decade at public expense. There isn't an insurance policy in the country that pays for that kind of care for that long.

-- Here's an idea for legislation: if you want to ride with no helmet, you must agree to be an organ donor and sign a Living Will permitting harvesting your organs if brain injury leaves you in a vegetative state.
DMuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #26
650nakedtwins
Registered Member

Very silly, Ohio?.

650nakedtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #27
650nakedtwins
Registered Member

Ya i know--"freedom man......its the new riders getting killed, its the young riders, its the riders with no training!"

Well i dont think a patch of oil or deer or a car running a red light or a car not seeing you in a lane change or ...you get the idea......None of these situations knows your experience or rider training. But even if "they" did,(lol) a helmet still may help.

My rant for the day.

650nakedtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #28
v4bryan
Registered Member

The remaining 28 states have varied standards, requiring riders of certain ages to wear helmets and others not to. The article was correct, but not clear-poor reporting.

Bryan...I NEVER ride two up...l
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #29
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Best post I have ever seen on this subject on MO. Excellent. Thanks for sharing...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #30
chris_z
Founding Member

Most of the head injury traumas end up.....dying.
chris_z is offline   Reply With Quote