Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #41
conchscooter
Founding Member

Default Re: Diesel Sportbike!

the whole notion of a diesel sportbike seems unlikely to win many cinverts in a culture that values motorcycles as status symbols and when diesels are associated with taxi engines and tractor engines its unlikley we will see a market for a modern diesel small engine.

there has been a lot of comment in my local newspaper (Key West Citizen keysnews.com) about people "giving up suv's" in the face of rising fuel costs. the question isn't one of self sacrifice, rather its a question of choosing to drive a car and maybe pay $1.80 a gallon or consume huge amounts of oil and pay $3.00 a gallon. Similarly with motorycles: ride a Honda Rebel and be sensible or ride an MV Brutale (or an HD for those thast like them) and be cool. Even if the Rebel could outperform the Brutale and be economical who would want to forego the image thing? Not many readers of this magazine apparently, and it seems likely we are as good a cross section of motorcyclists as any measure in the US and possibly the world.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #42
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Diesels have a bad rap in the U.S.

Next year the low sulfur stuff is due out, making it the cleanest in the world. Or did Shrub axe that when I wasnt looking?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #43
12er
Founding Member

Little biodiesel and it smells like french fries to boot!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #44
madkraut
Founding Member

Default Re: Not yet!

Actually, the M1030M1 JP8/Diesel (converted KLR650) has been in production since 1998. They have been in the fleet since 2001, in fact they rode all the way to Bagdad on them. The problem is that they are not widely used so they get washed away with all the other military hardware not shown on CNN.

Since 2002 HDT (the makers of the engine) and F1 Engineering (the maker of the rear suspension and other accessories requested by the DoD) have been applying to the government to release their exclusive contract, its not like they are trying to sell an Abrams to the public. They finally got their wish and are scheduled to start selling their heavily modified KLR to the general public sometime in the spring/summer of 2006.

www.m1030.com

www.f1engineering.com

I became interested with these motorcycles while in the Navy. I had the opportunity to work with the Marines in 1999 during a training evolution. Been following them ever since.
madkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:55 PM   #45
jameson
Founding Member

ncelik hit the nail on the head. As I am a driver of a GMC duramax diesel pickup I have been very involved in the diesel world over the last year. All I can say is the new diesels are nothing like the motors in tractors and the old pickups that you might be used to. There are guys running the 1320 in a 7000# truck under 13 seconds and other more heavily modified trucks running even faster. Some of these trucks have only had electronic tuners and propane or nitrous injection installed on them. Most of the gains coming from the electronic tuners themselves.

That being said I'm in no way surprised that they are getting the numbers out of that VW motor that they are. I just have to wonder about how hight the EGT's are going to get. I hope that undertail exhaust doesn't light someones butt on fire!
jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #46
drthompson65
Founding Member

Wonder if it can wheelie..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #47
pplassm
Founding Member

The Golf TDi I rented in Germany would easily spin the front wheels with throttle application. It would also cruise at 100 MPH and get 30MPG.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #48
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I hope biodiesel fares better than the two playoff picks you had. Looks like you doomed the Angels and the Cards with your support. Please root for the Astros in the World Series, because you could have the only horse in a dog race and still lose.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 AM   #49
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

No I think your White Sox have the edge. But I'll root for the NL team. The St. Louis-Houston series proved the old adage "Good pitching beats Good hitting". The Sox have the better pitching.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:49 AM   #50
maladg
Registered Member

Hmmmm, Diesel bike. Hmmmmm.

Well, time to go to a yard sale & buy and old CB radio and pick an amusing "handle". Then I can dress like Burt Reynolds during the "Smokey" years and talk like Jerry Reid. To complete the outfit, we can re-elect Jimmy Carter, impose fuel price controls, reignite inflation AND stagnation and it'll be 1977 all over again!

On second thought I like it! (but not the Jimmy part - after all Billy is dead so there won't be no dumb brother jokes) Beats dressing like a Village People reject or an extra in "Cruising". Hint to you Harley guys: get a new look - fast.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote