Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-01-2001, 03:57 AM   #1
tz250-geo
Founding Member

Default Re: Ironhorse Sales Continue to Increase

Please post a pic or link to their bikes.
tz250-geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2001, 04:21 AM   #2
Durandel
Founding Member

Default Link and stuff

Ive seen there lineup at Daytona bike week last year. They were pretty cool looking and sounded sweet. I wouldnt mind having one

Here is a link that someone requested.

http://www.americanironhorse.com/html/main_menu.htm
Durandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 06:57 AM   #3
hoyt
Founding Member

It's pretty amazing that there is such a strong market for these bikes. I'm not really a fan of them but I am glad that at least some segments of motorcycling can support small manufacturers. people before have mentioned that Harley's ability to finally catch up with demand will bankrupt Big Dog, Ironhorse, and the like but that doesn't quite add up. HD may be making more bikes but they are making them more mainstream.

The guys (and I'm assuming that it is just about all guys) that buy these things aren't as happy that HD is moving to counter-balanced engines and even liquid cooling. They want a hot rod that can be fixed with a hammer. Ironhorse seems to be proving that such a market exists and is growing. That will make it harder for the other clone makers to justify dwindling sales to their shareholders.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 07:32 AM   #4
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Poser bikes

All of these mass produced "customs" are aimed at the professional poser crowd (lawyers, doc's etc.) who don't understand what custom is supposed to be. What happens to these companies when they cease to be the "in" yuppie trinket?

I have one hell of a lot of respect for the people who put together their own bikes, and the amazing work they can do, but none for the people who ride these things.

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 09:55 AM   #5
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: Poser bikes

I don't really care if they are rich or not, that's not my point.

The marketing strategy of these companies is based on what posers want, and what they want could change in a week. Then what happens to these companies? Harley will probably always build cruisers that people will want, but they are big enough to move into other markets IF they have to. Big Dog et al aren't big enough (they by all of their parts from other suppliers, no real engineering dept.) to move into say sport bikes, in a hurry. Not a good for long term survival.

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
Smoker
Founding Member

I bite my tongue
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 06:08 PM   #7
Roland
Founding Member

Default Motorycling elitest bull****!!

Wow!

An American manufacturer, besides HD, is finally showing some signs of success. And all you guys can do is and moan about it? Its extremely difficult for a new manufacturer to succeed. Give some credit to these people.

A Yuppie bike?! Most people dont even know what the hell an American Ironhorse is? Even people in this forum posted a request for pictures of the lineup. Give me a break. Yuppies arent shopping for these bikes.

Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 01:49 AM   #8
IceWorm
Registered Member

Gheesh, you really can't make it through the weekend without reading another retread rehash 600SS shootout story? Christ, send me your address and I will go through this years back issues of cycle mags and I will send you one, or two, or fifteen.

IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:39 AM   #9
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley making more mainstream bikes

You are correct that HD's volume is increasing rapidly for their stock bikes. However, Harley is also producing a lot more limited edition bikes out of their custom vehicle operations department. Bikes like the custom FXRs and Baggers.

These bikes are not cheap. Some people love them and some people hate them; not surprising it's typical Harley.

I think Harley's efforts to produce limited edition custom bikes will put significant pressure on the clone assemblers. Ironhorse can report improving sales but what do their margins look like? The clones have a variety of problems like low barriers to entry, lack of proprietary products and thus the dependence on vendors, which rape them bad.

The biggest problem! How do you sustainably sell a semi-mass produced custom? Once you get to a certain size you are no longer custom.

I think the Jesse James' will be around for a while but if Iron Horse approaches you for capital run for the exits. Look at Titan, Ultra and the other worthless public company clone manufacturers for comparables.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:45 AM   #10
hdpetey
Founding Member

So sales are up who cares! Tell us what your margins are. Even Internet investors probably better understand the difference between sales growth and profitability by now.

From my studies the margins in these businesses suck and they are getting worse. You need a lot of scale to make any kind of money. Problem is, how do you get scale selling semi-mass produced customs? You expand beyond your custom image quickly.

hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote