Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-31-2001, 09:10 AM   #1
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: Get Politically Active

The Health Insurance companies are always looking for ways to save money. Unfortunately there are only 2 ways; Increase premiums, or pay less claims. If they can avoid paying claims based on the politically incorrect activities of the insureds, they can make more money. Imagine where this might lead ? Deny cancer claims to smokers ? Maybe deny heart disease claims to overweight folks ? If they can get their friends in the Govt to back them, almost anyone could be a target. Where are the self appointed defenders of the common folks ? You know the ones who hold press conferences everytime some bizarre little fringe group gets their feelings hurt.

Interesting artictle Danielle.

GS
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Possible redundancy?

One reason the health insurance companies don't want to pay for accidents is because that is the realm of the auto insurance company, at least here in Minnesota. If were injured in a crash, my auto insurance would pony up for the hospital bill, not my health plan. If, and only if, my auto policy didn't cover the full cost would my health plan kick in and make up the difference above the deductable. I think the HMOs and insurance agencies may simply be trying to make sure that the auto policy becomes liable before they start shelling out the cash.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 09:28 AM   #3
GSparky
Founding Member

I checked the IRS site and found the regulations. They can be downloaded but there is no way to submit comments. May have to write comments using snail mail and one of the other two addresses
GSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 09:35 AM   #4
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: Possible redundancy?

How would that work for folks that don't have insurance on their motorcycle ? I know many folks that have health insurance through their employer, but maybe carry liability or nothing on their bikes.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 09:54 AM   #5
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Insurance companies are blood-sucking, money-grubbing thieves. They deny medical care to the suffering, kick mothers and new-born babies into the street minutes after delivery, and routinely pay doctors late on claims they know are valid just to earn that extra few cents of interest they get from leaving the money in the bank. They use their profits to buy politicians to buy themselves immunity from antitrust laws and deny consumers their constitutional rights to due process.

On a more personal note, my brother had a job offer from an insurance company once. I'm glad he decided to become a drug dealer instead.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 09:58 AM   #6
Putter
Founding Member

I hear ya. That's why I have a legal plan...to get involved and help settle any of these kinds of issues. Besides, it has saved me money in other areas too, like traffic tickets, etc.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 10:12 AM   #7
oldCBrider
Founding Member

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones... My company has reserved motorcycle parking - concrete pads that are protected from the cagers and right near the entrances to all seven of our buildings. Our insurance doesn't appear to have any clauses about riding either.

Doesn't mean thought that one shouldn't jump on the AMA bandwagon, write letters and push like hell for these regulations.
oldCBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 10:58 AM   #8
VFRider
Registered Member

Not to get off the point, but has anyone else noticed that Danielle is a total babe? And it seems that she is damn smart too.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 11:11 AM   #9
VFRider
Registered Member

OK, back to the point. I assume that these regulations provide guidelines to insurance companies on how they can structure their policies. If this is the case, and no further review by Congress is pendeing, then we've just been given the shaft brothers and sisters. Please please please write to your State and Federal representatives to express your concern/outrage. Drop the AMA a line also, they like to hear from us.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 12:34 PM   #10
Mutt
Founding Member

Does anyone know why the Internal Revenue Service is involved in these regulations? Geez!
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote